Asteroid 2009 DD45: Close Approach to Earth March 2nd

• Thread starter Waveform
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asteroid
In summary, on the night of March 1st, a small asteroid (2009 DD45) passed very close to earth at a distance of 0.00030 lunar distances. While it was not visible to the naked eye, it was a great opportunity for astrophotography. The asteroid measured between 69-154 feet in diameter, similar to the one that exploded over Siberia in 1908. Scientists at the Siding Spring Observatory in Australia began tracking it in late February, providing only a couple of weeks notice for potential impact.
Waveform
On the night of March 1st, actually March 2nd UTC a small asteroid (2009 DD45) will pass very close to earth. Something within 0.00030 lunar distances.

It will unfortunately (and then perhaps very fortunately) in all probability not be visible to the unaided eye.
If it was very bright in the sky the gravitational gradients between us and it may have changed the story somewhat, and not for the good.

This should be a great photo opportunity for anyone into astrophotograpy. Although, it will be moving quite fast as it passes us.

There is not much in the way of elements yet.

I suggest anyone interested in attempting a visual, check the coordinate at:
http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/mpec/K09/K09D80.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I heard about that, nice post.
But sadly on that night I was volunteering.
Sad I missed it.

From the AP:
The space rock measured between 69 feet and 154 feet in diameter. The Planetary Society said that made it about the same size as the asteroid that exploded over Siberia in 1908.

Scientists at the Siding Spring Observatory in Australia spotted 2009 DD45 and began tracking it in late February when it was about 1 million miles away.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iMRlXoAOKgOWrgy2Iux54E-dmD8QD96NJ2H81

So basically they had a couple of weeks notice? For a major population center that would be tremendously problematical.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Asteroid 2009 DD45?

Asteroid 2009 DD45 is a small near-Earth asteroid that was discovered in February 2009. It measures approximately 21 meters in diameter and orbits the Sun every 366 days.

2. When will Asteroid 2009 DD45 pass close to Earth?

Asteroid 2009 DD45 will make its closest approach to Earth on March 2nd, 2021. It will pass by at a distance of about 0.042 astronomical units, or 6.24 million kilometers.

3. Is there any risk of Asteroid 2009 DD45 colliding with Earth?

No, there is no risk of collision with Earth. Asteroid 2009 DD45 will pass by at a safe distance and has been closely monitored by scientists to ensure there is no threat of impact.

4. How can I see Asteroid 2009 DD45 during its close approach?

Unfortunately, Asteroid 2009 DD45 will not be visible to the naked eye during its close approach. It will only be visible through powerful telescopes and will appear as a small dot of light moving across the sky.

5. What can we learn from the close approach of Asteroid 2009 DD45?

Asteroid 2009 DD45's close approach allows scientists to study its orbit and composition in more detail. This information can help us better understand the origins and behavior of asteroids, as well as potential risks they may pose to Earth in the future.