Astronomical software for BCE Thuban era

• Thread starter kr236rk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the conversation was about a person named Ric who is interested in prehistory and wants to view the night skies from 5000 years ago. They mention using a program called Space.Com 'Night Sky Explorer' but it only goes back to 200 BC. Another person suggests using a program called SOLEX which can go back to -30000 to 30000 epochs. Ric also mentions using Stellarium, but wonders if there is a hybrid program with Google Earth to accurately view heavenly phenomena.
kr236rk
Hi,

I am a newb interested in prehistory: I'd like to gaze on night skies of 5000 years ago, is this possible please?

I already have Space.Com 'Night Sky Explorer' but this only gets me back to 200 BC.

Please advise.

Many thanks ;)

Ric

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Old skies, old program! Runs happily under XP and earlier, not sure about Vista or Windows7. Epochs from -30000 to =30000.

Try SOLEX http://chemistry.unina.it/~alvitagl/solex/

Last edited by a moderator:
czrys said:
Old skies, old program! Runs happily under XP and earlier, not sure about Vista or Windows7. Epochs from -30000 to =30000.

Try SOLEX http://chemistry.unina.it/~alvitagl/solex/

I'm using Stellarium at the moment which is fantastic -

but!

when will someone bring out a Stellarium-Google Earth hybrid so that we can relate heavenly phenomena to a tolerably accurate virtual horizon please?

Ric

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is astronomical software for BCE Thuban era?

Astronomical software for BCE Thuban era is a type of computer program that is specifically designed to aid in the study and analysis of celestial bodies during the time period when the star Thuban was used as the North Star, approximately 4,500 years ago.

2. How does this software differ from modern astronomical software?

This software differs from modern astronomical software in terms of the data and calculations used. Since the position of Thuban as the North Star was different from our current North Star, the calculations and data used in this software are specific to that time period and location.

3. What can this software be used for?

Astronomical software for BCE Thuban era can be used for various purposes, such as tracking the movement of celestial bodies during that time period, predicting astronomical events, and studying the ancient civilizations that relied on Thuban for navigation and timekeeping.

4. Is this software accurate?

Yes, this software is accurate as it is based on historical and astronomical data from that time period. However, since there may be limitations in the available data, the accuracy may vary depending on the specific calculations and predictions being made.

5. Who can use this software?

This software can be used by anyone interested in studying and understanding the astronomical events and civilizations of the BCE Thuban era. It may be particularly useful for historians, astronomers, and archaeoastronomers.