What is the formula for calculating the mass of a star in astronomy?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a star using integration and the formula M(r) = 4 \pip_{c}\left(r^{3}/3 - r^{4}/4R) for shell mass. The question asks whether to use integration to find the mass throughout the star and clarifies that the star does not have an even mass distribution.
Unto

Homework Statement

...Hence show that the mass of the star is M = [tex]4\pi[/tex][tex]p_{c}[/tex][tex]\left(R^{3}/3 )[/tex]

Homework Equations

M(r) = [tex]4 \pi[/tex][tex]p_{c}[/tex][tex]\left(r^{3}/3 - r^{4}/4R)[/tex]
This is the shell mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the shell mass via intergration, and I know that I have to build up an 'infinite' number of shells to get the whole mass of the star. But do I use integration or something else? What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello? You don't really need to know about Astronomy to answer this question, I'm just really dumb and unsure whether to intergrate to find the mass throughout the star. Please help.

Is your star supposed to have an even mass distribution? Because your formula for the mass shell seems really weird. For a constant density it should be proportional to r^2.

1. What is the mass of the sun?

The mass of the sun is approximately 2 x 10^30 kilograms, or about 333,000 times the mass of the earth.

2. How is the mass of a star measured?

The mass of a star is measured using a variety of techniques, including observing its gravitational effects on nearby objects, analyzing its spectral lines, and using mathematical models based on its luminosity and temperature.

3. Can a star's mass change over time?

Yes, a star's mass can change over time through processes such as nuclear fusion, where lighter elements combine to form heavier ones, and mass loss due to stellar winds or interactions with other objects.

4. What is the relationship between a star's mass and its lifespan?

A star's mass is directly related to its lifespan, with more massive stars having shorter lifespans due to the higher rate of fusion and energy production in their cores.

5. Is there a limit to how massive a star can be?

Yes, there is a theoretical upper limit to a star's mass known as the Eddington limit, beyond which the outward pressure from radiation would overcome the inward force of gravity, causing the star to disintegrate.