Calculating Asymptotic Potential for Nonlinear Diff Eq at r->infinity

• Thread starter manjeet85
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a nonlinear differential equation with initial conditions and a solution provided. The person is trying to calculate the asymptotic potential at r->infinity, but there is not enough information given. The solution provided does not satisfy the initial condition and the person is unsure how to calculate the potential at y(0). They are also looking for an asymptotic solution at r approaches infinity.
manjeet85
I have the solution (a potential) for a nonlinear differential equation found at r=0. How can I calculate the asymptotic potential at r->infinity?

Thanks in advance
MS

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation? What is the solution? There is waay too little data here.

This is the nonlinear equation

diff(y(r),r,r)+2*diff(y(r),r)/r+486*polylog(3/2,-exp(1-1/43*y(r))) = 0;
Initial conditions: y(0) = 0, D(y)(0) = 0.

Sol:1.05375994-.2150397042*r+.2150397042*r^2

Thank you

umm... It doesn't seem like your solution satisfies the initial condition: y(0)=0. Other than that, It's just a parabola, so there's no asymptotic behavior - it simply diverges...

There is asymptotic potential in the form of some ln function. But I don't know how to calculate it. and regarding potential at y(0), i will recheck my solution.
But my question is that if I have a solution for this differential equation at initial conditions, how can i get an asymptotic solution at r approaches infinity?

Thanks for your time
MS

1. What is the purpose of calculating asymptotic potential for nonlinear differential equations at r->infinity?

The purpose of calculating asymptotic potential for nonlinear differential equations at r->infinity is to determine the long-term behavior or stability of a system. Asymptotic potential represents the equilibrium state of a system as r (radius) approaches infinity, providing insight into the overall behavior of the system in the long run.

2. How is asymptotic potential calculated for nonlinear differential equations?

Asymptotic potential is calculated by analyzing the behavior of the system at large values of r. This is typically done by finding the limiting behavior of the nonlinear differential equation as r-> infinity, using techniques such as series expansions or asymptotic analysis.

3. What factors influence the asymptotic potential for nonlinear differential equations?

The asymptotic potential for nonlinear differential equations is influenced by the initial conditions of the system, the nature of the nonlinearities present, and the boundary conditions at infinity. The specific form of the differential equation also plays a role in determining the asymptotic potential.

4. How does the asymptotic potential relate to the stability of a system?

The asymptotic potential is directly related to the stability of a system. A system is considered stable if its asymptotic potential approaches a finite value as r-> infinity. If the asymptotic potential diverges or oscillates, the system is considered unstable.

5. Can asymptotic potential be used to predict the behavior of nonlinear differential equations at finite values of r?

No, asymptotic potential is only valid for r-> infinity. It cannot be used to predict the behavior of a system at finite values of r. Other techniques, such as numerical simulations, must be used to analyze the behavior of nonlinear differential equations at finite values of r.