Atlas of complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##

In summary, the speaker is constructing an atlas for complex projective 3-space using inhomogeneous coordinates and specifying transition functions at the intersections of charts. They are unsure of what to do at the intersections of three charts, but it is suggested that they only need to check the holomorphicity of transition functions between each pair of charts as this will cover the intersections of triplets.
kloptok
I'm constructing an atlas for complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##. I use the construction with inhomogeneous coordinates ##z_{i}/z_{j}## and a chart is given by the points ##\mathcal{U}_j=\{z_j\ne 0\}##. At the intersections ##\mathcal{U}_i\cap \mathcal{U}_j## I should specify (holomorphic) transition functions between coordinates. So far I'm fine. Now my problem is, what do I do with the intersections between three charts, ## \mathcal{U}_i\cap \mathcal{U}_j\cap \mathcal{U}_k ## ? I have a feeling that I can skip them since ##\mathcal{U}_i\cap\mathcal{U}_j \cap \mathcal{U}_k=\mathcal{U}_i \cap(\mathcal{U}_j\cap \mathcal{U}_k) ## and I know what to do at each of the intersections ##\mathcal{U}_i\cap\mathcal{U}_j##. After all, isn't the point that at this intersection I can use either of the three coordinate systems and I only have to require holomorphic transitions between them?

Is this a correct way of thinking? It's probably a silly question but I can't get my head around this. All I can find when I search on the web is what to do at intersections between two charts, and nothing about multiple intersections.

Physics news on Phys.org
You only need to check holomorphicity of the transition functions between each pair of charts since if you do that, then on the intersection of triplets, you're just restricting the domain of a map you already know is holomorphic.

1. What is the purpose of the "Atlas of complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##"?

The "Atlas of complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##" is a comprehensive mathematical reference book that provides a collection of visual and analytical tools for understanding the geometric properties of complex projective 3-space. It serves as a valuable resource for mathematicians and scientists studying complex projective geometry.

2. How is "Atlas of complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##" organized?

The "Atlas of complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##" is organized into several sections, each of which focuses on a different aspect of complex projective 3-space. These sections include visualizations, equations, and tables that provide a comprehensive overview of the properties of complex projective 3-space.

3. What is complex projective 3-space?

Complex projective 3-space, denoted as ##\mathbb{C}P^3##, is a mathematical space that extends the concept of complex numbers to three dimensions. It is a four-dimensional space that has the property of homogeneity, meaning that any two points in the space can be transformed into each other by a projective transformation.

4. What are some applications of complex projective 3-space?

Complex projective 3-space has applications in various fields, including algebraic geometry, differential geometry, and theoretical physics. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision for 3D modeling and image processing.

5. Who can benefit from using the "Atlas of complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##"?

The "Atlas of complex projective 3-space ##\mathbb{C}P^3##" is a valuable resource for mathematicians, physicists, and engineers who are interested in studying and understanding the properties of complex projective 3-space. It can also be useful for students and researchers in related fields, as well as anyone looking to deepen their understanding of complex projective geometry.