What is the role of atmospheric refraction in a sunset?

In summary: The index of refraction of air at sea level is around 1.00029 (depends on temperature, pressure, and humidity). The index of refraction of air at the upper boundary of the atmosphere (at the top of the thermosphere) is around 1.000000029 (depends on solar cycle and time of day).The index of refraction of air in between varies approximately as a function of altitude (but really it varies as a function of atmospheric conditions, e.g. temperature, pressure, and humidity).The index of refraction of air varies nearly inversely with altitude. It is nearly constant in the lowest levels of the atmosphere (the troposphere, where we live and where weather occurs). It decreases logarith
cris9288

Homework Statement

Explain, with the relevant equations and a clearly labeled figure, what is actually happening as you view a sunset. Make sure to include a clearly labeled ray diagram for full credit.

Homework Equations

n1sin(θ1) = n2sinθ2

1/f = 1/o + 1/i

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a midterm problem that I got wrong. We are having an extra credit quiz tomorrow and this is the only problem I don't have solved.

My attempted solution involved using snells law, in both equation and diagram form. However I was given no credit as I had the "wrong approach". I'm guessing I should be using a ray diagram, but I'm unsure how to set up the f and i variables. Since the sun is very far away from the sun, I can set o in my lens equation to infinity. This would make the focal length equal to the image distance, but this really doesn't make any sense to me. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi cris9288! welcome to pf! :smile:
cris9288 said:
Explain, with the relevant equations and a clearly labeled figure, what is actually happening as you view a sunset. Make sure to include a clearly labeled ray diagram for full credit.

My attempted solution involved using snells law, in both equation and diagram form.

i suspect your diagram was bad

can you show us (or describe) your diagram?

(and you don't seem to be mentioning colour)

Thing is, the atmosphere represents a medium with continuously varying index of refraction, both as a function of atmospheric density and dispersion (n varies with f).

What is atmospheric refraction?

Atmospheric refraction is the phenomenon where light rays passing through the Earth's atmosphere are bent due to the varying density of the air. This causes objects to appear higher in the sky than they actually are.

How does atmospheric refraction affect our daily lives?

Atmospheric refraction can affect our daily lives in various ways. It can cause mirages, where objects appear distorted or in different locations. It can also affect the accuracy of astronomical observations, as the positions of celestial bodies can be altered by refraction.

What causes atmospheric refraction?

Atmospheric refraction is caused by the change in density of the Earth's atmosphere. This is due to the decrease in air pressure and temperature with increasing altitude. The bending of light occurs as it passes through these different layers of air.

What are some practical applications of understanding atmospheric refraction?

Understanding atmospheric refraction is important in fields such as meteorology, astronomy, and optics. It can also affect the accuracy of measurements using GPS and other navigation systems.

How can we compensate for atmospheric refraction?

To compensate for atmospheric refraction, astronomers and navigators use mathematical corrections based on the known properties of refraction. Additionally, certain instruments, such as telescopes, have built-in features to correct for the effects of atmospheric refraction.