Atom can give rise to singlet, doublet, triplet, and quartet states?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
gazepdapi1
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
How do you know if an atom can give rise to singlet, doublet, triplet, and quartet states? I'm having a hard time understanding this
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nertil1 said:
How do you know if an atom can give rise to singlet, doublet, triplet, and quartet states? I'm having a hard time understanding this

It depends on what you are given.
 
well the original question was, for the atoms from H to Ne, which ones can give rise to singlet, doublet, triplet, and quartet states?
 
2S+1, where S is the total intrinsic spin of the electrons right?

Hunds Rules, then you are done I suppose.

Are you sure this is not homework/course work question?