Need Help Solving Ne9+ Balmer Series Problem

• Thread starter mirella
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the ionization of atoms, specifically Ne9+, at high temperatures. The first question asks about the energy levels of Ne9+ compared to hydrogen, while the second question asks about the wavelength of the first line in its Balmer series. The conversation also mentions using the Bohr model and provides equations for solving the questions. The conversation ends with a solution to the discrepancy between units in the equation.
mirella
I could use some assistance! - thanks:smile:

Question:
Atoms can be ionized by thermal collisions at very high temperatures. One such ion is Ne9+, a neon atom with only a single electron.

(a) By what factor are the energies of its hydrogen-like levels greater than those of hydrogen?

(b) What is the wavelength of the first line in this ion's Balmer series?

(I'm aware of this equation, I'm just not sure how to apply it to this question.)

Physics news on Phys.org
mirella said:
I could use some assistance! - thanks:smile:

Question:
Atoms can be ionized by thermal collisions at very high temperatures. One such ion is Ne9+, a neon atom with only a single electron.

(a) By what factor are the energies of its hydrogen-like levels greater than those of hydrogen?
In the Bohr model, how does the electron's energy depend on the charge of the nucleus (Ze)? What is the Z for Ne9+?

Once you get a), b) follows from the Bohr formula.

AM

You need to show some work.

mirella said:

It seems like you should have a formula for this. If not, perhaps you're expected to use the Bohr model. What is the atomic number of Neon?

Which transition does this correspond to?

for a) is just the atomic # squared 10^2= 100

for b) I have the equation:

hc/lambda=(Z^2)*(13.6eV) (1/2sq - 1/3sq)

where Z=10

...but it doesn't turn out right, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

mirella said:
for a) is just the atomic # squared 10^2= 100

for b) I have the equation:

hc/lambda=(Z^2)*(13.6eV) (1/2sq - 1/3sq)

where Z=10

...but it doesn't turn out right, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong
What number do you get? What value are you using for h?

h = 6.63*10^-34 (a constant right?)

to solve for lambda i get: 1.05*10^-27

mirella said:
h = 6.63*10^-34 (a constant right?)

to solve for lambda i get: 1.05*10^-27
This is what I thought the problem was... you are mixing units! This h in in Joule-second. But the energy you get in in electronvolts. So you have two choices: either you convert the right hand side bacin Joules (by multiplying your energy in eV by 1.602x10^(-19)) or you use the value of h in eV-second.

Pat

ahh.. thank you kind sir :)

-ali

1. What is the Balmer series?

The Balmer series is a series of spectral lines in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is produced when the hydrogen atom's electron transitions from a higher energy level to the second energy level (n=2).

2. What is the formula for calculating the wavelengths in the Balmer series?

The formula for calculating the wavelengths in the Balmer series is λ = (364.6 nm)/n2, where n is the energy level of the electron.

3. How is the Balmer series related to the atomic structure of hydrogen?

The Balmer series is related to the atomic structure of hydrogen because it is the result of the electron transitioning between energy levels in the hydrogen atom. This series helps to explain the quantized nature of energy levels in atoms.

4. Can the Balmer series be seen in other elements besides hydrogen?

Yes, the Balmer series can be seen in other elements besides hydrogen. However, the wavelengths of the spectral lines will be different as they depend on the specific energy levels of the electron in each element.

5. How can I solve a problem involving the Balmer series?

To solve a problem involving the Balmer series, you can use the formula λ = (364.6 nm)/n2 to calculate the wavelengths of the spectral lines. You can also use the Rydberg formula 1/λ = RH (1/n12 - 1/n22) to calculate the energy levels of the electron. Make sure to use the correct values for the constants RH and n1 and n2 depending on the element you are studying.