Atomic Weight: What Governs the Number of Neutrons?

In summary, the atomic weight is the average mass of an atom in atomic mass units, taking into consideration the different isotopes and their relative abundances. The strong nuclear force is what ultimately holds the neutrons and protons together in the nucleus, while the electrons orbit due to the electromagnetic force. The atomic mass unit is defined based on the weight of C12.
MrEd
Atomic wieght...

I know, or at least think the wieght of an atom is the number of neutrons...but what I want to know is what governs this number? Is it a gravitational force...I mean all this spinning going on...how can they be so small, so close together and not bump into each other?--what keeps things in order? Please forgive me!

Physics news on Phys.org

The atomic weight is the average mass of the atom in atomic mass units, (basically a proton is 1 and a neutron is 1).
By average I mean that the various isotopes and their relative abundances are taken into consideration (which is why the mass of H = 1.0008 or whatever)

Gravity is far too weak to hold them together, what ultimately binds the neutrons and protons in the nucleus is the strong nuclear force. The electrons orbit the nucleus by virtue of the electromagnetic force.

Atomic mass unit is defined so that C12 has an atomic weight of 12 (exactly). Protons and neutrons have at. wt. slightly greater than 1.

1. What is atomic weight?

Atomic weight, also known as relative atomic mass, is the average mass of an element's atoms, taking into account the abundance of each isotope of that element.

2. How is atomic weight calculated?

Atomic weight is calculated by multiplying the mass of each isotope of an element by its relative abundance and then summing up the results. The relative abundance of each isotope is determined by the frequency with which it occurs in nature.

3. What is the relationship between atomic weight and number of neutrons?

The atomic weight of an element is determined by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus. The number of neutrons can vary among different isotopes of the same element, resulting in different atomic weights.

4. What governs the number of neutrons in an atom?

The number of neutrons in an atom is governed by the stability of the nucleus. In general, the more protons an element has, the more neutrons are needed to maintain a stable nucleus. However, there are exceptions to this rule depending on the specific element.

5. How does atomic weight affect an element's properties?

The atomic weight of an element can affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, elements with a higher atomic weight tend to have a higher density and melting point. The number of neutrons can also impact an element's stability and reactivity.