Atoms Everywhere: Unseeing Them Again?

• Thread starter communication
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, you can see atoms in the air sometimes with the naked eye and your eyes automatically follow them around. Sometimes you can't see them properly and you need to "unsee" them.
communication
Hi I am new here. I am not really a science buff, i only just started reading about physics a week ago. I come from a media and fitness background, but I joined to ask a quick question that I thought someone here could best answer - I can see atoms in the air sometimes in light only and my eyes automatically follow them around. Anyway, sometimes i can no longer see through them properly. How do i start to "unsee" them again? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
communication said:
Hi I am new here. I am not really a science buff, i only just started reading about physics a week ago. I come from a media and fitness background, but I joined to ask a quick question that I thought someone here could best answer - I can see atoms in the air sometimes in light only and my eyes automatically follow them around. Anyway, sometimes i can no longer see through them properly. How do i start to "unsee" them again? thanks.

Welcome to PF communication! We cannot actually see atoms with our eyes, atoms are so small they are invisible. If we could see them we wouldn't be able to see as everything we look at would be one thick foggy wall of atoms!

What is it you are seeing when you "see" atoms? It could either be http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokencapslock/5054740477/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you sir. It must be floaters then if we cannot see them. They are so tiny. I always thought we could see atoms through a light microscope?

You are all so lucky, i wish i had a natural ability for science. I envy all of you.

communication said:
thank you sir. It must be floaters then if we cannot see them. They are so tiny. I always thought we could see atoms through a light microscope?

You are all so lucky, i wish i had a natural ability for science. I envy all of you.

It is never to late to start learning science :smile: individual atoms are too small to discern with a light microscope (that is one using visible light) as the resolution of such microscopes is on the order of ~100 nanometres. Atoms are around one thousand times smaller than this! However we can resolve atoms using microscopes that do not rely on photons; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanning_tunneling_microscope" all have far greater resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
communication said:

The only natural ability to learn science is wanting to know how things work. To get a grasp on the basics for most subjects in science doesn't even require a knowledge of math more than your average person knows. If you just want to learn how things work just to know and not to apply it to a career the math does almost no good anyways until you want to get into the nitty gritty details.

Last edited:

1. What are atoms and why are they important?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are incredibly small particles that make up everything in the universe, including ourselves. Atoms are important because they determine the properties and behavior of all matter.

2. How do we know that atoms exist if we can't see them?

Atoms are too small to be seen even with the most powerful microscopes. However, scientists have conducted numerous experiments and observations that provide evidence for the existence of atoms. This includes the behavior of gases, the results of chemical reactions, and the ability to manipulate individual atoms using advanced technology.

3. How are atoms everywhere if they are so small?

Atoms are everywhere because they make up everything around us. They are constantly moving and interacting with each other, which allows for the formation of larger structures such as molecules, cells, and organisms. Atoms are also present in the air we breathe and the food we eat.

4. Can atoms be destroyed?

No, atoms cannot be destroyed. According to the law of conservation of mass, atoms can neither be created nor destroyed, only rearranged and combined in different ways. In nuclear reactions, atoms may appear to be destroyed, but they are actually transformed into other elements.

5. How do scientists study atoms?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study atoms, including microscopy, spectroscopy, and particle accelerators. These methods allow them to observe and manipulate atoms on a very small scale and gather information about their properties and behavior. Scientists also use mathematical models and theories to understand the behavior of atoms and predict their interactions.