Attempting to draw 3-ethylbutanoic acid

• Thread starter katiecool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses drawing 3-ethylbutanoic acid and determining the geometry of (FeCl4)- and (Ni(CN)4)-2. It also asks if dichlorobisethylenediaminecobalt(III) chloride can be expressed as (Coen2Cl2)Cl. The proposed structure for 3-ethylbutanoic acid includes a double bond off the C=O and a single bond off the C-CH2CH3. The suggested geometries for (FeCl4)- and (Ni(CN)4)-2 are tetrahedral and square planar, respectively. It is noted that 3-ethylbutanoic acid does not exist according to
katiecool

Homework Statement

I am attempting to draw 3-ethylbutanoic acid as well I am trying to determine the geometry of (FeCl4)- and (Ni(CN)4)-2.

Also, can dichlorobisethylenediaminecobalt(III) chloride be expressed as (Coen2Cl2)Cl?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think 3-ethylbutanoic acid can look like see attached

Just for clarification a double bond is coming off of the C=O and a single bond off the C-CH2CH3

I believe the geometry of (FeCl4)- is Tetrahedral and the last one is square planar

Attachments

• thisisit.jpg
    thisisit.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Check your compound. If you follow IUPAC naming rules, 3-ethylbutanoic acid does not exist.

FAQ: Attempting to draw 3-ethylbutanoic acid

1. What is 3-ethylbutanoic acid?

3-ethylbutanoic acid is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C6H12O2. It is also known as valeric acid and is commonly used in the production of artificial fruit flavors.

2. How do you draw 3-ethylbutanoic acid?

To draw 3-ethylbutanoic acid, begin by drawing a straight chain of six carbon atoms. Then, attach a carboxylic acid group (-COOH) to the fourth carbon atom and an ethyl group (-CH2CH3) to the third carbon atom. Finally, add a hydrogen atom to each remaining carbon atom.

3. What are the physical properties of 3-ethylbutanoic acid?

3-ethylbutanoic acid is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor. It has a boiling point of 186°C and a melting point of -33°C. It is slightly soluble in water, but highly soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol and ether.

4. What are the uses of 3-ethylbutanoic acid?

3-ethylbutanoic acid has a variety of uses in the food, fragrance, and pharmaceutical industries. It is commonly used as a flavoring agent in food and beverages, as well as a precursor for the production of other chemicals. It is also used in the synthesis of perfumes and as an intermediate in the production of pharmaceuticals.

5. Is 3-ethylbutanoic acid dangerous?

3-ethylbutanoic acid is considered to be a low hazard chemical. It can cause irritation to the skin and eyes, but is not known to be carcinogenic or have any significant health effects. However, as with any chemical, it is important to handle it with care and follow proper safety precautions.