Attenuated system with unknown sampling rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a causal system composed of two LTI subsystems with specific impulse responses and a tone at 1 kHz that is attenuated by 43.6%. The question posed is whether the sampling rate can be determined based on this information, but the individual is unsure and believes it may not be possible without knowing the system's bandwidth.
magnifik
A causal system is composed of the series cascade of two LTI subsystems with
impulse responses (1/2)nu(n) and (1/3)nu(n-1). A tone at 1 kHz is attenuated by 43.6%. Can you tell what the sampling rate is?

My thought process..
I have only solved problems where I had to find the attenuation given the frequency of the tone, the signal bandwidth, and the sampling rate, I am not sure about the posed question. At first I thought yes, it can be found because you can find the transfer function and from this find the steady state and solve for the sampling rate by setting the steady state equal to the attenuation. However, I tried doing the actual calculation and got stuck (I believe this is why we aren't expected to find the actual value). Then I thought... Do you need to know the bandwidth of the system to find the sampling rate? Isn't the sampling rate equal to 2*bandwidth?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would make sense, but I'm not sure. So, unfortunately, I do not think it is possible to answer the posed question with the given information.

1. What is an attenuated system?

An attenuated system is a system in which the amplitude or strength of a signal is reduced as it passes through the system. This can be caused by various factors such as distance, resistance, or filtering.

2. How does an attenuated system affect the sampling rate?

If the system is attenuating the signal, it will result in a decrease in the amplitude of the sampled signal. This can potentially lead to a lower sampling rate, as the signal may not be strong enough to be accurately sampled at a higher rate.

3. Can an attenuated system affect the accuracy of the sampled data?

Yes, an attenuated system can affect the accuracy of the sampled data. If the signal is weakened, it may lead to errors in the sampled data, resulting in inaccurate measurements or analysis.

4. How can the sampling rate of an attenuated system be determined?

The sampling rate of an attenuated system can be determined by analyzing the input signal and the output signal. By comparing the two signals, the amount of attenuation can be calculated, which can then be used to determine the appropriate sampling rate.

5. Can an attenuated system be compensated for?

In some cases, an attenuated system can be compensated for by using amplification or filtering techniques. However, this may not always be possible, and it is important to carefully consider the effects of attenuation on the system's data before attempting to compensate for it.