Australian Physicists: Salary, Job Growth & Day-to-Day Work

• Physics
  • Thread starter krixx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice from physicists in Australia regarding their career path. They are interested in studying and working in the fields of particle physics, astrophysics, or theoretical physics. They are also considering the financial aspects of these fields and ask about job opportunities, growth potential, and daily tasks. The speaker acknowledges that these are broad questions and is looking for a better understanding before committing to pursuing their passion. They also mention the possibility of branching into industry if they become bored with academia. A response mentions that funding in these fields may be limited and suggests considering other fields such as computational fluid dynamics or quantum computing if money is a main objective. These fields have more opportunities in industry as well.
krixx
Greetings all, I need some advice from people who are currently working as physicists in Australia.
I want to undertake a study of physics and work in the field, I am not entirely sure what specific area at the moment but it would probably be in particle physics or astrophysics or even theoretical physics as these are my main areas of interest. I won’t bore you with too much background and my reasoning for wanting to pursue this career but I can assure you that I have always had a passion for science and I know that no matter what I am doing in life that I always will. I have recently began considering actually following my passion in life and since letting this thought into my head I have felt profoundly different.. its probably a mixture of extreme excitement and uncertainty.
My day to day thoughts are driven by two things. The first is my love of science and the second is my desire to be well off financially speaking the latter of which leads me to my questions to you.
Question 1: Can you give me a good idea of what a Theoretical, particle, astro physicist makes after completing their education?

Question 2: what amount of growth could I achieve in these fields (financially and authoritatively) and where can these jobs take me?

Question 3: what EXACTLY do people in these jobs do on any given day?

Sorry if these are broad questions but I really am trying to get the best idea I can before I make the plunge. Responses will be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about Australia but in the UK theoretical particle, astrophysics and etc .. are really getting their funding cut. So unless you are the best it would be really hard to get a job/post doc after you do a PHD.
If money is a main objective then fields that are very important to industry right now have a lot of money in them e.g. computational fluid dynamics and quantum computing.
Good thing about these fields is if you get bored of academia you could always go into industry.

Related to Australian Physicists: Salary, Job Growth & Day-to-Day Work

1. What is the average salary of Australian physicists?

The average salary for Australian physicists varies depending on their level of education, experience, and the industry they work in. According to the Australian Government's Job Outlook website, the median annual salary for physicists is around $115,000.

2. What is the job growth outlook for Australian physicists?

The job growth outlook for Australian physicists is positive, with an expected growth rate of 5.6% over the next five years. This is slightly higher than the average for all occupations in Australia.

3. What industries do Australian physicists typically work in?

Australian physicists can work in a variety of industries, including research and development, education, healthcare, energy and utilities, and government agencies. Many also work in the field of technology and telecommunications.

4. What are the day-to-day responsibilities of Australian physicists?

The day-to-day work of Australian physicists can vary depending on their specific job and industry. However, common tasks may include conducting research, performing experiments, using mathematical models and computer simulations, analyzing data, presenting findings, and collaborating with other scientists and researchers.

5. What education and training is required to become an Australian physicist?

To become an Australian physicist, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required. Many also go on to complete a master's or doctoral degree. In addition to formal education, ongoing training and professional development are important for staying current in the field.