Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Auto track using Kinematic model

1. Mar 15, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to implement an auto track guidance system for ground vehicles (Eg Tractors), I'm using Matlab and Simulink. I'm at a point where I can calculate heading errors. I'm not too sure how to calculate the lateral errors. Also, I need help in designing the controller. I'm using kinematic model since its a tractor, planning to use low-fidelity model.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What are you using for your sensor inputs? Compass, camera, GPS, etc.? How are you monitoring the wheels, and how will you account for wheel slip?

4. Mar 19, 2016 #3
    Hi,

I'm doing this just for simulation. Since I'm doing kinematic model I'm considering no slip atm. My world coordinates are my GPS values (X and Y)

5. Mar 20, 2016 #4
    I'm now in a point to design my control law, where I get my lateral and heading errors and turn them into my desired steering values. I don't know how to do that.

6. Mar 20, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So you must be doing some reading about how to do it then. We are not allowed to do your schoolwork for you. What control methods have you been studying? Have you read about PID control systems? Have you read about critical damping?

7. Mar 20, 2016 #6
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused here. I have little knowledge in PID control systems. But the lateral error and heading errors should be converted to steering angle. Do I need to find the transfer function? I'm working all in time domain simulink models.

8. Mar 20, 2016 #7
    My plant model inputs are velocity and steering angle, my outputs are X,Y coordinates and yaw rate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted