Auto track using Kinematic model

In summary, the conversation is about implementing an auto track guidance system for ground vehicles using Matlab and Simulink. The person is currently able to calculate heading errors, but is unsure how to calculate lateral errors and design the controller. They are using a kinematic model and considering no slip at the moment. The next step is to design a control law to convert lateral and heading errors into desired steering values. The person has limited knowledge in PID control systems and is unsure if a transfer function is needed. They are working with time domain simulink models and the plant model has inputs of velocity and steering angle, and outputs of X, Y coordinates, and yaw rate.
Shriraam Prabu
Hi,

I'm trying to implement an auto track guidance system for ground vehicles (Eg Tractors), I'm using Matlab and Simulink. I'm at a point where I can calculate heading errors. I'm not too sure how to calculate the lateral errors. Also, I need help in designing the controller. I'm using kinematic model since its a tractor, planning to use low-fidelity model.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shriraam Prabu said:
Hi,

I'm trying to implement an auto track guidance system for ground vehicles (Eg Tractors), I'm using Matlab and Simulink. I'm at a point where I can calculate heading errors. I'm not too sure how to calculate the lateral errors. Also, I need help in designing the controller. I'm using kinematic model since its a tractor, planning to use low-fidelity model.

Thanks
Welcome to the PF.

What are you using for your sensor inputs? Compass, camera, GPS, etc.? How are you monitoring the wheels, and how will you account for wheel slip?

Hi,

I'm doing this just for simulation. Since I'm doing kinematic model I'm considering no slip atm. My world coordinates are my GPS values (X and Y)

I'm now in a point to design my control law, where I get my lateral and heading errors and turn them into my desired steering values. I don't know how to do that.

Shriraam Prabu said:
I don't know how to do that.
So you must be doing some reading about how to do it then. We are not allowed to do your schoolwork for you. What control methods have you been studying? Have you read about PID control systems? Have you read about critical damping?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here. I have little knowledge in PID control systems. But the lateral error and heading errors should be converted to steering angle. Do I need to find the transfer function? I'm working all in time domain simulink models.

My plant model inputs are velocity and steering angle, my outputs are X,Y coordinates and yaw rate.

1. What is a Kinematic model?

A Kinematic model is a simplified representation of a physical system that focuses on describing the motion of an object without considering the forces that cause that motion. It uses mathematical equations to predict the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object based on its initial conditions and any given inputs.

2. How does Auto track using Kinematic model work?

Auto track using Kinematic model involves using sensors and algorithms to continuously measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object and then using a Kinematic model to predict its future motion. This allows for accurate tracking and prediction of an object's movement without the need for external forces or inputs.

3. What are the benefits of using Auto track with Kinematic model?

Auto track using Kinematic model is beneficial because it provides real-time and accurate tracking of an object's movement without the need for complex calculations or external forces. It is also less computationally intensive compared to other tracking methods, making it more efficient and cost-effective.

4. What are the limitations of Auto track using Kinematic model?

One limitation of Auto track using Kinematic model is that it assumes a constant velocity and acceleration for an object, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also relies on accurate sensor measurements and can be sensitive to errors or noise in the data.

5. How is the accuracy of Auto track using Kinematic model evaluated?

The accuracy of Auto track using Kinematic model can be evaluated by comparing the predicted motion of an object to its actual movement. This can be done using metrics such as root mean square error or mean absolute error. The accuracy can also be improved by adjusting the parameters of the Kinematic model or using other tracking methods in combination with the Kinematic model.