Automated Gene Sequencers (Hoods)

In summary: However, if they haven't been able to identify all the genes yet, then it would be something that could potentially be used in the future to help people understand their own genetic makeup. In summary, the human genome project has sequenced the entire human genome, but they still don't know all the genes yet, so a print-out of someone's genetic code wouldn't be very useful at this point.
FreeWill
Hey I was looking at Jurassic Park and they talk about Hoods (automated gene sequencers) and they say they're machines that work out the genetic code by themselves. I don't know if those exist or not but

Hypothetically could somebody pay someone to give them their genetic code on paper? (or something like that) So that they can see what genes and combinations of genes they have, even if they don't know what those genes do and stuff?

I mean I know that percentage-wise, we share most of our genetics with other humans..

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Hypothetically? The human genome project has sequenced the entire human genome, of course there are still issues of variations among individuals. Even with all that has been learned about streamlining the process over the course of that project, it's not something that can be done quickly or cheaply enough to make it worthwhile for individuals yet. On a smaller scale, we can screen for specific genes in an individual if there is some reason to be concerned, such as for markers that indicate high risk for certain cancers if there is a family history of that form of cancer. But for now, the idea of something that could quickly provide every individual with a print-out of their entire genetic code remains in the realm of science fiction.

So could I have that done (If I had the money etc. How long would it take, how long would it cost, etc?) since The human genome project has sequenced the entire human genome? So that I could know the genes that I have? (The ones that are the same as everyone else's and the ones that are different)

I mean, you said that But for now, the idea of something that could quickly provide every individual with a print-out of their entire genetic code remains in the realm of science fiction but that's because not all individuals could spend the money and the time etc to have that done right?

I mean all I'd have to know/want to know with that is the genes that make me different...if the other genes would all be the same as everyone else's

FreeWill said:
So could I have that done (If I had the money etc. How long would it take, how long would it cost, etc?) since The human genome project has sequenced the entire human genome? So that I could know the genes that I have? (The ones that are the same as everyone else's and the ones that are different)

I mean, you said that But for now, the idea of something that could quickly provide every individual with a print-out of their entire genetic code remains in the realm of science fiction but that's because not all individuals could spend the money and the time etc to have that done right?

I mean all I'd have to know/want to know with that is the genes that make me different...if the other genes would all be the same as everyone else's
Keep in mind that the human genome has been sequenced, but they still haven't identified all the genes yet, or know what they do; that's why estimates of the numbers of genes in the human genome still vary rather widely depending upon who you ask, because it's all estimates still.

Time and money would be the biggest issues right now. I don't know enough about the current status of that technology to give you any solid estimates, but I'd guess years. I really don't know the costs at all, or how much would be consumables (chemicals) and how much is the cost of equipment.

I think the main issue at this point is it still wouldn't do you much good to have it if it's just a genetic sequence without knowing what the genes are and what they do.

Never mind. I think you said "Keep in mind that the human genome has been sequenced, but they still haven't identified all the genes yet" I guess that means that they wouldn't be able to tell me what I was genetically?. I just wanted a blueprint of myself so I could look at it and go "That's what I am genetically" (Even if I didn't understand what that meant) Of course I know we're a combination of genetics and environment and possibly a soul, and not just genetics. But I still thought it would be neat to be able to know what I was genetically. And of course, by doing that I could see if I had genes that could cause diseases or something, maybe.

Last edited:
Have they been unable to identify all the genes that make us different from each other, and/or all the genes that make us the same as each other?

Because if they've been able to identify all the genes that make us different from each other, (Even if they haven't been able to identify all the genes that make us the same as each other) maybe I could find out all the genes that I have that make me different from somebody else/other people

1. What is an Automated Gene Sequencer?

An Automated Gene Sequencer is a machine used in molecular biology to determine the precise order of nucleotide bases in a DNA molecule. It automates the process of DNA sequencing, allowing for faster and more accurate results compared to manual methods.

2. How does an Automated Gene Sequencer work?

An Automated Gene Sequencer works by breaking down a DNA molecule into small fragments, which are then amplified and labeled with fluorescent tags. These fragments are then separated by size using gel electrophoresis and the fluorescent tags are detected by a laser. The sequence of bases is determined by the order in which the fluorescence is detected.

3. What are the benefits of using an Automated Gene Sequencer?

Using an Automated Gene Sequencer allows for faster and more accurate sequencing compared to manual methods. It also allows for high-throughput sequencing, meaning large numbers of sequences can be processed at once. Additionally, it reduces the risk of human error and increases the reproducibility of results.

4. What types of samples can be sequenced with an Automated Gene Sequencer?

An Automated Gene Sequencer can be used to sequence various types of samples, including DNA from organisms, environmental samples, and synthetic DNA. It can also sequence both double-stranded and single-stranded DNA, as well as RNA.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Automated Gene Sequencer?

While an Automated Gene Sequencer offers many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. It may not be suitable for sequencing very long DNA fragments, as the accuracy decreases with longer sequences. It also requires specialized training and maintenance, and can be expensive to purchase and operate.