Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automatic peanut butter and jelly maker?

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think I want to build an automatic peanut butter and jelly sandwhich maker. Sounds crazy? Probably. Have you lost all respect for me? I bet. Did you ever have any respect for me? Dream on.

I figure it can't be that hard! It's such a simple process in the first place... so how hard would it be to mechanize it? And yes, I am THAT lazy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2
    can i help you design it? ive got some ideas like a thin piece of U shaped metal with a slit in it the width of the bread which is then passed over the bread to put the jelly on uniformly. i bet that Ronco company would buy it rofl

4. Jan 13, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I wonder how much you could sell one for. I think teh american public is sick and tired of doing the most basic things in life... im sure they'll cough up the money

5. Jan 13, 2006 #4
    Its simple, eat the bread raw, get a spoon and scarf down the Peanut butter and the jelly. It will mix in your stomach, problem solved.

6. Jan 13, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*stuffs Uncrustables into Pengwuino's computer*
    [​IMG]

7. Jan 13, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have my doubts about those things. Plus look at them! There in a stupid little igloo

8. Jan 13, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They actually taste better than they look. Plus, they're fortified with preservatives, which as everyone knows, will make you live longer.:biggrin:

9. Jan 14, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Of course! Why else would they be called PRESERVEatives :) MIH, you're so smart :!!) :!!) :!!)

10. Jan 14, 2006 #9
    they still have a crust though! if i was a kid, i'd be peeling that crinkly part off. no one likes the crust cause its that little bit harder and tastes kinda funny and there's never any good stuff where the crust is. why am i gonna eat that crinkled edge? its yucky.

11. Jan 14, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How much would you guys pay for such an ingenious invention? Don't just think of it as a peanut butter and jelly maker, think of it as a peacemaker.

12. Jan 14, 2006 #11
    fitty cent, wah wah, i'm GANGSTAH!

13. Jan 14, 2006 #12

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Two words on your quest....Goober Grape.

14. Jan 14, 2006 #13
    I am also so lazy that I would want a machine to make my PB & J sandwiches. However, that makes me too lazy to write you an investment check as well. Send me a free check writing machine and if I get ambitious enough I'll think about working up the effort to hit the on button.

15. Jan 14, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never heard of automatic peanut butter.

16. Jan 14, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to have a PB&J maker...but one day, mom started telling me to make my own sandwiches. :frown: *bah dum bum cymbal*

Pengwuino, you're never going to make it in marketing. You've missed the real cash cow here...the PB&J machine is a decent enough idea, but it would have to be something that sells in the range of $12.99 to $19.99 (maybe the regular price is $19.99, but the QVC price is $12.99), and that's not going to make you rich any time soon. But, the real money is in making the special peanut butter and jelly that people will have to buy to put in the PB&J maker. You'll have to sell a special, extra creamy peanut butter (it doesn't smoosh the bread when it's spread!), and jelly in a unique container that is the only thing that will fit your PB&J maker, and then you charge $5 for every 12 oz refill. See, now this doesn't seem excessively expensive to people yet, but then after they're hooked on it and don't know how they ever lived without a machine to make their PB&J for them, you make the refills only 10.9 oz (after a brief period when you sell a bonus size so people don't remember what the old size was), for the same price, and then when people get used to that, you advertise, "NEW" packaging, now with 10% more product, and sell the 12 oz again, but now for $7. And that's how you make your money after they're hooked on the product. :devil:

17. Jan 14, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its peanut butter that you don't even have to eat. It jumps in you rmouth and forces its way down your throat. Its part of this new line of "extreme food"

18. Jan 14, 2006 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

OMG, you're EVIL!!!!! :biggrin:

19. Jan 14, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Evil Genius :!!) :!!) :!!) :!!) :!!)

I could have never thought of such a diabolic marketing scheme on my own!

20. Jan 14, 2006 #19

turbo

Gold Member

That's exactly how it works. The place where I used to work got a coffee machine that made one cup at a time, using little plastic containers of prepackaged coffee-flavored crap (mixtures of some grounds, some instant, and lots of flavorings). The coffee-like liquid was barely drinkable to me (I have an espresso machine that makes my morning brew) but some of the employees got hooked on the convenience and the variety of flavors ("Ooh, I want the mocha-almond-frou-frou this time!") and now the company is stuck. There would be a riot if they took that machine and the "free" coffee away. That prepackaged "faux coffee" probably costs them at least 3-4x as much as the real stuff. That's marketing. Don't deliver quality, just shoot for the lowest common denominator, keep your costs under control, trap your market with consumables that only you can supply, and reel 'em in.

21. Jan 14, 2006 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you poking fun at inkjet printer manufacturers?

Should I take this personally?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?