Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automorphisms of Finite Fields

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1
    I am trying to figure out the effect of a field automorphism on a field with a non prime subfield.

Say for example [tex]F_{2^{29}}[/tex], [tex]F_{2^{58}}[/tex] and [tex]F_{2^{116}}[/tex]

Let [tex]\alpha \in F_{2^{58}}[/tex]\[tex]F_{2^{29}} [/tex]

Under [tex]{\sigma}^{i}, 1 \le i \le 58[/tex] do we get any case where [tex]\alpha[/tex] becomes an element of [tex]F_{2^{29}}[/tex] ?

If not why not since the orbit of [tex]\alpha[/tex] under this automorphism will be 58.

Does it mean that the other elements shift to [tex]F_{2^{116}}[/tex]?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2005 #2
    Remember that a finite extension E/F is normal iff every automorphism of E sends F to itself. Since any finite extension of finite fields is Galois, any automorphism of F_2^58 must send F_2^29 to itself. Does that answer your question?
  4. Sep 8, 2005 #3
    Now what really happens to the elements of F_2^58\F_2^29 (ie exclude the ones in F_2^29)? Do they go to F_2^29 or do they remain in F_2^58\F_2^29?

5. Sep 8, 2005 #4
    Well, an automorphism is one to one and onto, so if f:A->A is one to one and onto, and f(B)=B, we must have f(A\B)=A\B, mustn't we?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?