1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Autonomous ODE: non-uniqueness of solutions

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the autonomous ODE:
    [itex]\dot{x} = f(x), x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]
    first we define the following sets:
    [itex]E := \{f(x) = 0\}[/itex]
    [itex]E^+ := \{f(x) > 0\}[/itex]
    [itex]f(x)[/itex] is continuous so [itex]E[/itex] is a closed set and [itex]E^+[/itex] is an open set.
    [itex] x_0 \in (x_-,x_+)[/itex] where [itex](x_-,x_+)[/itex] is the connected component of [itex] E^+ [/itex] that contains [itex]x_0[/itex].
    In addition we define the function:
    [itex] \Psi : (x_-,x_+) \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex]
    [itex] \Psi(z) := \int_{x_0}^z \frac{dy}{f(y)} [/itex]
    Now the texbook says that if:
    [itex]lim_{z\to x_{\pm}} \Psi(z) = l^{\pm}[/itex] is finite, we lose the uniqueness of the solutions and this is quite easy to understand, but what comes after is not :(
    It says that we have at least 2 solutions of the equation that at the istant [itex] t = l^{\pm}[/itex] coincide at [itex]x^+[/itex]; what are these? are there others?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I struggled for hours and i think one of the solutions maybe the function:

[itex] x(t) = \begin{cases} x_- & t = l^- \\ \Psi^{-1}(t-t_0) & l^- < t < l^+ \\ x^+ & t = l^+ \end{cases} [/itex]

i.e. i extented the solution x(t) = [itex] \Psi^{-1}(t-t_0) [/itex] at the extremes of [itex] (x_-,x_+) [/itex]
    but i can't think of other solutions

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?