Can Autoradiographs Identify Pu-239 Amidst Other Radioactive Materials?

• Thread starter divmstr95
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, the claim that alpha radiation from the surgeon fish was responsible for the image on the film is not accurate. In summary, it is challenging to definitively identify Pu-239 from an autoradiograph in such a complex environment, and alpha radiation cannot expose film.
divmstr95
I am officially stumped. I am studying the exposure to personnel from Operation Crossroads (Able and Baker bombs). One of the things I have run across is a claim that Col. Warren Stafford proved there was plutonium in the lagoon because a surgeon fish had autoradiographed a film it was laid on after eating contaminated lagoon algae (the claim is actually from the official photo archive). This was about 9 days after the Baker burst.

What I'm trying to figure out is 1) how you definitively identify Pu-239 from an autoradiograph in an environment where Pu-239, U-235, fission products from both, and activated materials from the environment are all present and 2) how alpha radiation exposes film (the claim also stated that Alpha radiation was responsible for image).

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question. Unfortunately, it is not possible to definitively identify Pu-239 from an autoradiograph in an environment where Pu-239, U-235, fission products from both, and activated materials from the environment are all present. This is because all of these elements emit different types of radiation, and they each have unique energy spectra that would need to be studied in order to identify them. Additionally, alpha radiation cannot expose film; it is too low-energy to be absorbed by film. The only type of radiation that can expose film is gamma radiation.

Related to Can Autoradiographs Identify Pu-239 Amidst Other Radioactive Materials?

What is an autoradiograph from Pu-239?

An autoradiograph from Pu-239 is an image produced by exposing a photographic film to radioactive particles emitted from the isotope Pu-239. The film is then developed and the resulting image shows the distribution and intensity of radiation emitted from the sample containing Pu-239.

How is an autoradiograph from Pu-239 created?

An autoradiograph from Pu-239 is created by placing a sample containing Pu-239 on top of a photographic film. The film is then left to expose to the radiation emitted by the Pu-239 for a certain amount of time. After exposure, the film is developed and the resulting image is a visual representation of the radioactive particles emitted from the sample.

What can an autoradiograph from Pu-239 be used for?

An autoradiograph from Pu-239 can be used for a variety of purposes. It can help researchers identify and study the distribution of radioactive materials in a sample, track the movement of radioactive substances through different materials, and analyze the intensity of radiation emitted from a sample.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with Pu-239 autoradiographs?

Pu-239 is a highly radioactive and hazardous material. Therefore, it is important to handle Pu-239 autoradiographs with extreme caution. Protective gear, such as gloves and lab coats, should be worn when handling the film or sample. Proper disposal procedures should also be followed to prevent any potential harm to humans and the environment.

How is an autoradiograph from Pu-239 different from other types of imaging techniques?

An autoradiograph from Pu-239 is different from other types of imaging techniques because it specifically captures the distribution and intensity of radiation emitted from a sample containing Pu-239. Other imaging techniques, such as X-ray or MRI, use different types of energy to create images of structures or substances within a sample.