Designing Autos: Physics/Engineering Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter Euclid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary: However, from what I've read, and from talking to people who know more than me, it seems like understanding the principles behind automobile design would be a good place to start.
Euclid
I am interested in learning about how automobiles are designed from a physics/engineering perspective (i.e. what are the basic components in an auto and how do they work together to make the thing move?). I know embarassingly little about this topic. I can't seem to find a decent place to start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:
PS. This is intended to be bedside reading, so it can't be too dull and unengaging!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Euclid.
There are a lot of different kinds of cars, built for a lot of different purposes.
The foremost requirement is structural integrity. That, essentially, ensures that the thing won't be crushed like a used Kleenex if it hits something. Variations of that go from egg-crate with crumple zones, through steel full box frames up to full titanium or chrome-moly frames with intergral roll cages. There are a lot of approaches, each of which is intended to maximize the survival chance of someone inside.
From the appearance perspective, it is based upon the target market. There's a huge difference, in principle, between what a soccer mom and a 16 year-old street-punk wants (and I am not by any means implying at any significant percentage of 16 year-olds are 'punks'). Then there's the old streeters like me. I found it incredible that the name of one of my favourite cars from slightly after they quit building really good ones has re-emerged as something that would fit all of us—the Dodge Magnum. Back when I was still in the scene, the Magnum XE came out, and I so wanted to buy one and stuff a hemi in it. It just had such great lines. Now, it's re-emerged as a mommy-mobile... with a hemi. Okay, it's a baby-hemi, but still...

Hi Danger,
Thanks for the response! Although I think the problem of death-prevention is really important and interesting, I am more interested in the inner workings of the machine. Perhaps I should start with engine design principles? Any suggestions?
--Euclid

Hello Euclid,
A viable approach may be to "track" the flow of energy throughout the vehicle. Energy is stored chemically in gasoline, and the chemical reaction of combustion within the engine causes a rapid expansion doing work in the pistons. The combustion gas is processed for removing NOx, particles, etc. before being exhausted. In some cars there are electronic systems capable of measuring parameters of air intake and exhaustion gas, and adjust the conditions in the engine accordingly.

The work from the engine is transmitted via shafts and axes to the gearing. This transfer may be analysed through classical mechanics (rotational energy, moment of inertia, etc.). Also the gears themselves and the transmission to the wheels may be analysed thusly. Mind you that I'm no automechanics wiz, and I shall be the first to admit that the description of the system might be, and likely is, incomplete.

Other aspects are the shock absorption system, and minimizing air drag through both the geometric design of the vehicle and through microscopic modification of the surface texture.

The engineering aspect has two main points that I can think of: Safety, which was discussed by Danger (I am not the only one spotting the irony there, am I?), and energy efficiency, i.e. as much yield as necessary with as little fuel use as possible.

--Nesk

Nesk said:
Safety, which was discussed by Danger (I am not the only one spotting the irony there, am I?)

:rofl:
Nesk, how is it that you have over 30 posts, and obviously have a good grasp of things mechanical, and this is the first time that I've encountered you?
Anyhow, that was a nice response. I never got around to stuff like aerodynamics, suspension, fuel economy, etc.. (Got side tracked by the thought of the Magnum and started day-dreaming. :redface:)
As for the design principles, Euclid, they really are 'purpose-built'. I could try to elaborate upon that (and I will if nobody else does), but the guys that you should listen to about it are Brewnog, Stingray, Hypatia... Nesk...

Last edited:
Danger said:
:rofl:
Nesk, how is it that you have over 30 posts, and obviously have a good grasp of things mechanical, and this is the first time that I've encountered you?
Anyhow, that was a nice response. I never got around to stuff like aerodynamics, suspension, fuel economy, etc.. (Got side tracked by the thought of the Magnum and started day-dreaming. :redface:)
As for the design principles, Euclid, they really are 'purpose-built'. I could try to elaborate upon that (and I will if nobody else does), but the guys that you should listen to about it are Brewnog, Stingray, Hypatia... Nesk...

Thank you, Danger. I'm flattered. :redface:

Saying that I have a good grasp of things mechanical might be a bit of an overstatement. If I peeked beneath a bonnet, I'd probably not be able to identify anything but the hole through which one adds oil, and that'd only be if it had "oil" written on it in very large bright letters. :smile:

How is it that you haven't encountered me 'till now? I've spread those ~30 post over a few sections, so I guess my presence has not been so intensive as to attract much attention. :cool:

Nesk said:
Saying that I have a good grasp of things mechanical might be a bit of an overstatement.

I don't think so; I usually have pretty good instincts about this sort of thing. Whether or not you have the hands-on experience and the particular knowledge of certain engines, drivelines, etc., you obviously have a very good 'feel' for the dynamics of the system as a whole. Your mind works in a good way; keep it up.

1. What are the key components of designing an automobile?

The key components of designing an automobile include the chassis, engine, transmission, suspension, and steering system. These components work together to ensure the vehicle's stability, power, and control.

2. How do physics principles play a role in designing automobiles?

Physics principles such as Newton's laws of motion, aerodynamics, and friction are essential in designing automobiles. These principles help in understanding the vehicle's movement, handling, and performance, and are used to optimize the design for efficiency and safety.

3. What is the role of engineering in designing automobiles?

Engineering plays a crucial role in designing automobiles as it involves using scientific and mathematical principles to develop and improve vehicle components. Engineers use their knowledge of physics and mechanics to design and test various aspects of the vehicle, such as the engine, suspension, and aerodynamics.

4. How do safety features factor into the design of automobiles?

Safety features are a critical aspect of designing automobiles to ensure the safety of drivers and passengers. Engineers use their knowledge of physics and engineering to incorporate features such as airbags, seatbelts, and crumple zones that help reduce the impact of collisions and protect the vehicle's occupants.

5. What are some common challenges faced when designing automobiles?

Some common challenges faced when designing automobiles include balancing performance and fuel efficiency, meeting safety standards, and incorporating new technologies. Engineers must also consider factors such as cost, materials, and manufacturing processes when designing a vehicle.