Find Affordable Math Tutors Online for Your Daughter | Expert Tips

• Thread starter jonweb20
  • Start date
In summary: I think the best way to find a tutor is to ask around and check out different websites. There are a lot of good tutors out there.
jonweb20
My daughter is looking for a Math tutor. We checked out Sylvan and Kuman and were impressed with what they offer, though the price seemed high. I’d like to be able to hire a tutor directly not hire a big company, if I can figure out how. What’s the best way to find a qualified tutor?

Thanks

Jon.

Physics news on Phys.org
A real world tutor will be a whole lot more efficient and better able to judge and interact with the student than an online tutor (I've done both and speak from experience). If you've got a university in your town you will be able to find grad students in the math and physics departments that will tutor your daughter for a fee of about $20/hour (varies a lot from place to place; can be as low as $10/hour or as high as $50/hour). The person to approach is the graduate secretary of the relevant department.

Try Tutorswithoutlimits.com and Tutorsteach.com. Both sites allow you to hire the tutor you think would work best for your daughter directly. My son and my daughter both work with a tutor we found through the twl site. The scheduling is much more flexible when you work directly with the tutor. Most of my kid’s sessions are after 8pm because that’s when they are doing their homework and need the help.

What subject and level is your daughter studying?

I agree with Gokul, that you can find college or graduate students (depending on the level your daughter is at) who can tutor. If she's in secondary school, sometimes the teachers know who is available as a good tutor. In colleges, there is usually some sort of learning resource center on campus that can refer students to tutors, and sometimes can even find some limited free tutoring from students paid to hold office hours at the center (that's really variable from school to school). Some tutors also just advertise their services in newspapers or on bulletin boards in places like laundromats near campus. Just like anything else, ask for references if you hire someone that way, and if it's their first time tutoring, perhaps you can arrange one free or half-price session to see if they're any good before scheduling regular full-price sessions.

I wouldn't recommend the big "companies" for tutoring. They have a more rigid, one-size-fits-all approach, and I don't think that's what most students need when they need tutoring.

Related to Find Affordable Math Tutors Online for Your Daughter | Expert Tips

1. How can I find affordable math tutors online?

There are several ways to find affordable math tutors online for your daughter. You can search for tutoring websites that offer competitive rates or look for independent tutors through online directories or social media groups. Another option is to reach out to local universities or schools to see if they offer online tutoring services at a lower cost.

2. What qualifications should I look for in an online math tutor?

It is important to look for an online math tutor who has a strong background in math and teaching. They should have a degree in math or a related field, as well as experience in tutoring or teaching math. Additionally, look for tutors who have good reviews or recommendations from previous students.

3. How can I ensure that my daughter is comfortable with her online math tutor?

One way to ensure that your daughter is comfortable with her online math tutor is to schedule a trial session before committing to regular tutoring sessions. This will allow your daughter to get a feel for the tutor's teaching style and personality. Additionally, communicate openly with the tutor about your daughter's needs and preferences to ensure a positive and comfortable learning experience.

4. How often should my daughter have online math tutoring sessions?

The frequency of online math tutoring sessions will depend on your daughter's individual needs and schedule. Some students may benefit from weekly sessions, while others may only need bi-weekly or monthly sessions. It is important to discuss with your daughter and her tutor to determine the most effective schedule.

5. Can online math tutoring be as effective as in-person tutoring?

Yes, online math tutoring can be just as effective as in-person tutoring. With advancements in technology, online tutoring platforms offer interactive tools and features that allow for a personalized and engaging learning experience. Additionally, online tutoring allows for a wider selection of tutors and more flexible scheduling options, making it a convenient and effective option for many students.