Average acceleration given velocity points?

In summary, to find the average acceleration of a rocket given a table with points of velocity, you simply find the quotient of the change in velocity over the change in time. In this case, it would be (v(60)-v(0))/(60-0).
syeh
How do you find average acceleration given a table with points of velocity (ft/sec)?

t (sec): 0 15 30 45 60
v(t) (ft/sec):0 40 60 70 75

the question asks: Find the average acceleration of Rocket A over t=[0,60] seconds.

I used change in v(t)/change in time to find 4 points of acceleration (2.667, 1.333, .667, .333). I added those and divided by 4 to get 1.25. But I do not think that is how to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
syeh said:
How do you find average acceleration given a table with points of velocity (ft/sec)?

t (sec): 0 15 30 45 60
v(t) (ft/sec):0 40 60 70 75

the question asks: Find the average acceleration of Rocket A over t=[0,60] seconds.

I used change in v(t)/change in time to find 4 points of acceleration (2.667, 1.333, .667, .333). I added those and divided by 4 to get 1.25. But I do not think that is how to solve the problem.

You just find the quotient (v(60)-v(0))/(60-0). That's average acceleration.

What is average acceleration given velocity points?

Average acceleration given velocity points is a measure of the overall change in velocity over a certain period of time. It is calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final velocities and dividing it by the time interval.

How do you calculate average acceleration given velocity points?

To calculate average acceleration given velocity points, you must first determine the initial and final velocities, as well as the time interval. Then, plug these values into the formula: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time interval.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

The main difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration is the time frame over which they are calculated. Average acceleration is calculated over a certain period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall measure of change in velocity, while instantaneous acceleration gives the exact rate of change at a specific point.

Why is average acceleration given velocity points important?

Average acceleration given velocity points is important because it helps us understand the overall change in velocity over a period of time. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports, as it allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects.

What are some real-life examples of average acceleration given velocity points?

Some real-life examples of average acceleration given velocity points include a car accelerating from rest to a certain speed in a given amount of time, a person running a race and increasing their speed over the course of the race, and a plane taking off and reaching a certain speed in a specific time frame.