1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average induced EMF

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The area of a 100 turn coil oriented with its plane perpendicular to a 0.28 T magnetic field is 4.3×10−2 m^2.
    Find the average induced emf in this coil if the magnetic field reverses its direction in 0.36 s.

2. Relevant equations

E = -N (flux - flux initial)/(t-to)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm actually not even sure I am using the correct equation. It is the only one I see that uses N. But I'm not sure how I would find an initial time and even a flux. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the correct formula.
    Look up the definition of flux.
    Note that the denominator is t - t0. How does "... reverses its direction in 0.36 s" relate to t - t0?

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    ok i found something in which i can use BAcostheta instead of flux... would that work? and i guess t would be 36 and initial would be zero?

5. Feb 28, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct on both accounts. What is cos(theta) here?

6. Mar 1, 2010 #5
    is it just 1?

7. Mar 1, 2010 #6
    also would A stay the same? and how to find B? or do you have to find B initial?

8. Mar 1, 2010 #7

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.
    A stays the same. As for B, read the problem carefully; Binitial and Bfinal are both given to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook