Calculating Average Induced EMF of 100-Turn Coil in 0.36s

In summary, the average induced emf in a 100 turn coil with a plane perpendicular to a 0.28 T magnetic field is found to be -0.12 V if the magnetic field reverses its direction in 0.36 s. This is calculated using the formula E = -N (flux - flux initial)/(t-to) where cos(theta) is equal to 1 and t is 0.36 s. The initial magnetic field is also given as 0.28 T, resulting in a final magnetic field of -0.28 T.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

The area of a 100 turn coil oriented with its plane perpendicular to a 0.28 T magnetic field is 4.3×10−2 m^2.
Find the average induced emf in this coil if the magnetic field reverses its direction in 0.36 s.

Homework Equations

E = -N (flux - flux initial)/(t-to)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually not even sure I am using the correct equation. It is the only one I see that uses N. But I'm not sure how I would find an initial time and even a flux. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the correct formula.
Look up the definition of flux.
Note that the denominator is t - t0. How does "... reverses its direction in 0.36 s" relate to t - t0?

ok i found something in which i can use BAcostheta instead of flux... would that work? and i guess t would be 36 and initial would be zero?

Correct on both accounts. What is cos(theta) here?

is it just 1?

also would A stay the same? and how to find B? or do you have to find B initial?

is it just 1?
Yes.
matt72lsu said:
also would A stay the same? and how to find B? or do you have to find B initial?
A stays the same. As for B, read the problem carefully; Binitial and Bfinal are both given to you.

1. How do you calculate the average induced EMF of a 100-turn coil in 0.36s?

To calculate the average induced EMF, you can use the formula: EMF = NΔΦ/Δt, where N is the number of turns in the coil, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the time interval.

2. What is the significance of a 100-turn coil in this calculation?

The number of turns in a coil affects the amount of magnetic flux passing through it, thus affecting the induced EMF. A 100-turn coil has a higher number of turns, resulting in a higher induced EMF compared to a coil with fewer turns.

3. How does the time interval of 0.36s impact the calculation of average induced EMF?

The time interval, Δt, in the formula represents the change in time during which the magnetic flux changes. A shorter time interval results in a higher induced EMF, as there is a larger change in magnetic flux during a shorter period of time.

4. Is there a specific unit for average induced EMF?

Yes, the unit for average induced EMF is volts (V). This unit represents the amount of electrical potential difference generated in the coil due to the changing magnetic flux.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated average induced EMF?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated average induced EMF include the accuracy of the measurement of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the coil, the time interval, and external factors such as electromagnetic interference.