Average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom

In summary: Glad it worked out!In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of <p2> for ψ100 of the hydrogen atom using equations for the wave function and the momentum operator. After correcting a mistake in the Laplace operator, the integral is solved and the resulting answer makes sense.
phys_chemist

Homework Statement

Calculate <p2> for ψ100 of the hydrogen atom

Homework Equations

ψ100 = 1/(√pi) (1/a0)3/2 e-r/a0

0 r n e-B rdr = n!/Bn+1

p2 = -hbar ∇2 = -hbar2 (r2 d2/dr2 +2 r d/dr) (ψ does not depend on ø or θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

<p2> = ∫ψ*(p2ψ)dV
∫dV = 4pi0r2dr

<p2> = ∫1/(√pi) (1/a0)3/2 e-r/a0 (-hbar2 (r2 d2/dr2 +2 r d/dr) 1/(√pi) (1/a0)3/2 e-r/a0)dV

<p2> = -4 hbar2/ a03 ∫r2 e-r/a0 ( (r/a0)2 - 2r/a0 ) e-r/a0 dr

<p2> = -4 hbar2/ a03 ∫e-2r/a0 ( r4/a02 - 2r3/a0 ) drThe problem that I am running into is that I am calculating the integral to be 0:

B= 2/a0 n1= 4 n2=3

∫e-2r/a0 ( r4/a02 - 2r3/a0 ) dr = (4!/ (a02 (2/a0)5) - (2*3!/ (a0 (2/a0)4 = (24a03/32 - 12a03/16) =0

Am I doing something wrong, because I don't think <p2> would be 0 (that would indicate that the momentum is always 0)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
First thing I noticed:

Going by the laplace operator in spherical-polar coordinates:
re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_operator#Three_dimensions $$\nabla^2\psi(r)=\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}r^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\psi(r)$$

Thank you. I left out the 1/r^2 in the laplace operator. When I redid the problem after fixing the operator, the answer I am now getting makes sense.

Easy to do - there are so many examples where you don't need it.

Your calculation is correct, but there is a subtle error in your reasoning. The momentum operator is a differential operator, not a constant. This means that it acts on the wavefunction to produce a new wavefunction, which is then integrated over to calculate the expectation value. In other words, you cannot simply pull the momentum operator out of the integral and treat it as a constant.

The correct calculation would be:

<p2> = ∫ψ*(p2ψ)dV
= ∫1/(√pi) (1/a0)3/2 e-r/a0 (-hbar2 (r2 d2/dr2 +2 r d/dr) 1/(√pi) (1/a0)3/2 e-r/a0)dV
= -4 hbar2/ a03 ∫r2 e-r/a0 ( (r/a0)2 - 2r/a0 ) e-r/a0 dr
= -4 hbar2/ a03 ∫e-2r/a0 ( r4/a02 - 2r3/a0 ) dr

Now, we can use integration by parts to evaluate the integral:

= -4 hbar2/ a03 [ e-2r/a0 (r4/a02 - 2r3/a0) |∞0 - ∫e-2r/a0 (-4r3/a03 + 6r2/a02) dr ]
= -4 hbar2/ a03 [ 0 - (0 - (4*3!/ (a03 (2/a0)4) + 6*2!/ (a02 (2/a0)3)) ]
= -4 hbar2/ a03 [ 0 - (0 - (6a03/32 + 12a03/16)) ]
= 3 hbar2/ a03

So, the expectation value of p2 for ψ100 of the hydrogen atom is 3 hbar2/ a03.

Related to Average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom

1. What is the significance of the average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom?

The average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom is a measure of the spread of the momentum values for the electron in the hydrogen atom. It is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it provides information about the behavior and properties of the atom.

2. How is the average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom calculated?

The average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom is calculated by taking the square of the momentum operator, multiplied by the wave function of the electron in the hydrogen atom (Psi), and then integrating over all possible momentum values.

3. What does the value of the average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom indicate?

The value of the average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom indicates the uncertainty in the momentum of the electron in the hydrogen atom. A larger value indicates a higher uncertainty, while a smaller value indicates a lower uncertainty.

4. How does the average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known. This is reflected in the calculation of the average momentum squared, as a larger uncertainty in position results in a smaller uncertainty in momentum and vice versa.

5. Can the average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom change?

Yes, the average momentum squared of Psi(100) of hydrogen atom can change depending on the state of the electron in the hydrogen atom. It can also be affected by external factors such as electric or magnetic fields, which can alter the momentum of the electron and thus change the average momentum squared value.