Average power of sinusoidal signal

In summary, the question is asking for the average power of a sinusoidal signal with amplitude A, frequency ω, and phase angle φ. The average power can be calculated by taking the limit of the integral of the squared signal over a period divided by the period. This results in a value of A^2/2. However, more information is needed such as whether the signal is a voltage or current and the resistance it is connected to. The variable T represents the period of the signal.
ngibson

Homework Statement

Question: Consider the sinusoidal signal:
A*cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])

Determine the average power

Homework Equations

This is my first real attempt in signals and I am really confused with the question...
I guess my question would be am I suppose to take the P = lim as t-> [tex]\infty[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] A*cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex]) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no attempted solution yet. I am really just trying to see how to start this problem and then go from there!

Please help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The average value of a function is \frac{1}{t}\int f(t) \Delta t. For sinusoidal functions, we typically average over a period.
Also, power is proportional to amplitude squared.

More information is required here.

Is "the signal" a voltage or a current? How much resistance is the signal connected to?

The average power of the signal x(t) is given by:

P = lim T ---> infinity * (1/T) * [ integration of x2(t) over (0 to T) with respect to t]

please ditinguish between "T" and "t". "T" is the period of the signal and "t" is the time.

If you integrate [A cos (ωt + ф)]2 over (0 to T) and take the limit as T approaches infinity you will have the answer. The result should be [A2/2]

Hint: T in the denominator will be simplified with the T in the numerator after the integration and you have no need to substitue any value instead of T.

1. What is the definition of average power of a sinusoidal signal?

The average power of a sinusoidal signal is the average value of the signal's instantaneous power over a given time period. It represents the amount of energy that is being transmitted by the signal per unit of time.

2. How is the average power of a sinusoidal signal calculated?

The average power of a sinusoidal signal can be calculated by taking the square of the signal's amplitude and dividing it by two. This calculation can also be represented as the signal's RMS (root-mean-square) value squared.

3. What is the significance of average power in sinusoidal signals?

The average power of a sinusoidal signal is important because it determines the amount of energy that is being transmitted by the signal, which can affect the performance and efficiency of electronic devices and systems.

4. Can the average power of a sinusoidal signal be negative?

No, the average power of a sinusoidal signal cannot be negative. This is because power is always a positive quantity, and the average power is calculated by taking the average of the signal's instantaneous power values, which are also positive.

5. How does the frequency of a sinusoidal signal affect its average power?

The frequency of a sinusoidal signal does not have a direct effect on its average power. However, higher frequency signals may have a higher average power if their amplitudes are also higher, as average power is directly proportional to the signal's amplitude squared.