1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average power of sinusoidal signal

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question: Consider the sinusoidal signal:
    A*cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex])

Determine the average power

2. Relevant equations
    This is my first real attempt in signals and I am really confused with the question...
    I guess my question would be am I suppose to take the P = lim as t-> [tex]\infty[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] A*cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\phi[/tex]) ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no attempted solution yet. I am really just trying to see how to start this problem and then go from there!!

Please help. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2
    The average value of a function is \frac{1}{t}\int f(t) \Delta t. For sinusoidal functions, we typically average over a period.
    Also, power is proportional to amplitude squared.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More information is required here.

Is "the signal" a voltage or a current? How much resistance is the signal connected to?

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    The average power of the signal x(t) is given by:

P = lim T ---> infinity * (1/T) * [ integration of x2(t) over (0 to T) with respect to t]

please ditinguish between "T" and "t". "T" is the period of the signal and "t" is the time.

If you integrate [A cos (ωt + ф)]2 over (0 to T) and take the limit as T approaches infinity you will have the answer. The result should be [A2/2]

Hint: T in the denominator will be simplified with the T in the numerator after the integration and you have no need to substitue any value instead of T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook