Average Reaction Rates Homework: Δ[A]/aΔt = Δ[ B]/bΔt

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the rate of ##H^+## consumption using the given equation, Δ[A]/aΔt = Δ[ B]/bΔt, and the given information that ##I_3^-## is produced at a rate of 2.6*10-4 M/s and that for every molecule of ##I_3^-## produced, two atoms of ##H^+## are consumed. The question is asking for the rate of ##H^+## consumption, which can be found by dividing 7.8E-4 by 3 in part A and by 2 in part B. However, the conversation also includes some confusion and clarification about the calculations and units involved
Not a Wrench

Homework Statement

2hqtjl5.png

Homework Equations

Δ[A]/aΔt = Δ[ B]/bΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

Δ[ I]/3Δt = Δ[H]/2Δt = 7.8E-4. What exactly am I supposed to do for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a Wrench said:
Δ/3Δt = Δ[H]/2Δt = 7.8E-4
I don't understand what you calculate here, and the number you get there (which is not the answer) doesn't agree with the number you put into the form (which is also not the answer).

Part B works in the same way as part A.

mfb said:
I don't understand what you calculate here, and the number you get there (which is not the answer) doesn't agree with the number you put into the form (which is also not the answer).

Part B works in the same way as part A.
What I did in part A was divide 7.8E-4 by 3. However I am unsure what this is fundamentally doing apparently as I can not understand how to get part B. Do I divide 7.8E-4 by 2?

Not a Wrench said:
Δ[ I]/3Δt = Δ[H]/2Δt = 7.8E-4.
That is not true. -Δ[I-]/Δt = 7.8e-4 M/s (don't forget the units), as you were told. Given this, how would you apply Δ[ I-]/3Δt = Δ[H+]/2Δt to answer the question?

You know ##I_3^-## is produced at 2.6*10-4 M/s. For every molecule of ##I_3^-## produced, two atoms of ##H^+## are used.
What is the rate of ##H^+## consumption?

1. What is the formula for calculating average reaction rate?

The formula for calculating average reaction rate is Δ[A]/aΔt = Δ[B]/bΔt, where Δ[A] and Δ[B] represent the change in concentration of reactants A and B, respectively, over a specific time interval (Δt). The coefficients a and b represent the stoichiometric coefficients of the reactants in the balanced chemical equation.

2. What does the term "a" represent in the formula for average reaction rate?

The term "a" in the formula represents the stoichiometric coefficient of the reactant A in the balanced chemical equation. It indicates the ratio at which reactant A is consumed or produced in the reaction.

3. How do you interpret the units of average reaction rate?

The units of average reaction rate are expressed as mol/L·s or M/s. This indicates the change in concentration of reactants or products per unit time. For example, if the average reaction rate is 0.5 mol/L·s, it means that the concentration of the reactants or products is changing by 0.5 mol/L every second.

4. Can the average reaction rate be negative?

Yes, the average reaction rate can be negative. A negative average reaction rate indicates that the concentration of a reactant is decreasing over time, while the concentration of a product is increasing. This can occur during a reversible reaction, where the reactants are being consumed to produce products, but the products are also being consumed to produce reactants.

5. How can the average reaction rate be affected by temperature?

Temperature can significantly affect the average reaction rate. In general, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the average reaction rate, as it provides more energy for the reactant molecules to collide and react. However, this relationship is not always linear and can vary depending on the specific reaction and reactants involved.