Average speed and average velocity

In summary: Divide the circumference of the orbit by the radius of the Earth. The radius of the orbit is 6.6 x10^6 meters, so the circumference of the orbit is 6.6 x10^8 meters.
mandi182

Homework Statement

The space shuttle takes off from Cape Canaveral in Florida and orbits Earth 18 times before landing back at Cape Canaveral 23 hours and 7 minutes later. During this time, it moves in circular orbit with radius 6.6 x10^6 m.

Homework Equations

The equation that I am using is Vave=(xfinal-x initial) /(tfinal-t inital)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the circumfrence which is 4.14*10^7 and then I multiplied that by 18 which gives me 7.46*10^8. I subtracted this and it gives me 7.05*10^8. I also converted 23.7 hours into 83220 seconds. I then took 7.05*10^8/83220 and got 8471.2m/s. According to to the book this is incorrect. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

~Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mandi182 said:
I figured out the circumfrence which is 4.14*10^7 and then I multiplied that by 18 which gives me 7.46*10^8. I subtracted this and it gives me 7.05*10^8.
Why did you subtract? You want the distance traveled, which is 18 circumferences.

I subtracted because I was using the average velocity formula in my book. Final displacement-Inital displacement/ final time-initial time.

Without subracting, I got 8969.51m/s which is also not the correct answer.

Is the book answer a bit less? Perhaps they want you to include the distance traveled from Earth to the orbital radius and back.

I think that I have to include the distance but how do I find that?

You're calculating the average speed, not the average velocity. Which does the problem ask for?

The problem asks for both. I am just not sure how to solve either one.

OK, do you know the difference between the two?

Average velocity takes into account total displacement and time while speed does not take into account direction.

Right.

Displacement is just the difference between where you started and where you ended up. So say you leave your house to go to the bank 1 mile away to the north and come back home an hour later. You started at your house and ended up back at your house, so your initial position and final position are the same. The net displacement is therefore 0 miles. (Because the direction matters, the 1 mile you traveled north was canceled out by the 1 mile you traveled south to get back home.) Your average velocity is 0 miles per hour.

On the other hand, to get to the bank and back, you had to travel a total distance of 2 miles. Since you don't care about the direction, the 1 mile you traveled getting to the bank simply adds to the 1 mile you traveled coming back home. Your average speed is 2 miles per hour.

In this problem, so far, you've calculated the distance traveled -- 18 times around the Earth --so you're finding the average speed.

mandi182 said:
I think that I have to include the distance but how do I find that?
Compare the radius of the Earth (look it up) with the radius of the orbit.

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

The main difference between average speed and average velocity is that average speed is a scalar quantity that only tells us the magnitude of the distance traveled in a given time, whereas average velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of motion.

2. How is average speed and average velocity calculated?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. On the other hand, average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the total time taken.

3. Can average speed and average velocity be the same?

Yes, average speed and average velocity can be the same only if the object is moving in a straight line without changing direction. In this case, the magnitude of the velocity (speed) will be the same as the average speed.

4. Why is average velocity sometimes zero even if the object is moving?

This can happen if the object is moving in a circular or curvilinear path and returns to its initial position. In this case, the displacement is zero and thus the average velocity will also be zero, even though the object has moved.

5. How does direction affect average velocity?

Direction plays a crucial role in average velocity as it is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction. The direction of the average velocity will be the same as the direction of motion of the object, regardless of its speed. For example, a car moving at a constant speed of 60 km/h, but changing direction frequently, will have different average velocities for each segment of the journey due to the changes in direction.