Avoiding hotspots in a microwave oven.

In summary, our Panasonic has finally given up the ghost, with a broken internal door catch mechanism. I have a go at most things but I really believe this one is not 'user serviceable' (:cry:). I think, at least in some models, the antenna itself is rotating. Whether that is better or not, I don't know - still using a turntable variant here. Though it seems that these models are very hit or miss, so make sure to read the reviews on that specific microwave first. I recycle. The magnet is perfect for keeping notes attached to the fridge. And that what are youmacallit thing for making the cooking rays is a neat looking minature futuristic space ship.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Our Panasonic has finally given up the ghost, with a broken internal door catch mechanism. I have a go at most things but I really believe this one is not 'user serviceable' (:cry:)
Time for a new one and I can see advantages in using a flat bed model. We had one without a turntable, several years ago and there were definite problems with hot spots. The recently defunct one was very good (using chaos defrosting, which was also very clever and effective). There is a new generation of what they now call 'flat bed' technology. Does anyone know how the 'mode stirring' is achieved these days - is it different from the rotating paddle in the roof that our old one had?
Is it any more effective and why?
I need to order something fairly quickly as my morning porridge is a regular treat. I should appreciate some background expertise on this, guys.

Science news on Phys.org
I think, at least in some models, the antenna itself is rotating. Whether that is better or not, I don't know - still using a turntable variant here. Though it seems that these models are very hit or miss, so make sure to read the reviews on that specific microwave first.

I make my morning oatmeal in boiling water on the stove for one minute.

Four minutes on Medium for me. We get very set in our ways.

Recycle.
The transformer makes a great paperweight, and I do mean "great'.
The magnets are perfect for keeping notes attached to the fridge.
And that what are youmacallit thing for making the cooking rays is a neat looking minature futuristic space ship.
Years ago I sawed one in half to see what's inside and and mysteriously found nothing there.

256bits said:
Recycle.
The transformer makes a great paperweight, and I do mean "great'.
The magnets are perfect for keeping notes attached to the fridge.
And that what are youmacallit thing for making the cooking rays is a neat looking minature futuristic space ship.
Years ago I sawed one in half to see what's inside and and mysteriously found nothing there.

Oh yes. The magnet! I salvage them from hard drives but forgot about the magnetron.
I may use the transformer to put in a guest's suitcase and see if they notice. :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
Oh yes. The magnet! I salvage them from hard drives but forgot about the magnetron.
I may use the transformer to put in a guest's suitcase and see if they notice. :smile:

:laugh:

1. How do I avoid hotspots in a microwave oven?

To avoid hotspots in a microwave oven, it is important to arrange food evenly on the turntable and avoid overcrowding. Placing a microwave-safe lid or cover over food can also help distribute heat more evenly.

2. Why do hotspots occur in microwave ovens?

Hotspots occur in microwave ovens because of the uneven distribution of microwaves. Certain areas of the oven may receive more microwaves than others, resulting in uneven heating.

3. Can hotspots in a microwave oven be harmful?

Hotspots in a microwave oven can be harmful if they cause food to overheat and potentially burn. This can also result in unevenly cooked food, which can lead to foodborne illness if not heated to the proper temperature.

4. Are there any tips for preventing hotspots in a microwave oven?

In addition to arranging food evenly and using a cover, it is important to stir or rotate the food during cooking to help distribute heat. Checking the wattage of your microwave and adjusting cooking times accordingly can also help prevent hotspots.

5. Can the type of container affect hotspots in a microwave oven?

Yes, the type of container used can affect hotspots in a microwave oven. Containers that are not microwave-safe can create uneven heating and potentially cause hotspots. It is important to use containers that are labeled as microwave-safe and to follow the manufacturer's instructions.