AVX-512 Assembly Programming: Opmask Registers for Conditional Arithmetic - Comments

In summary, Greg Bernhardt has written a new blog post about AVX-512 Assembly Programming and its use of opmask registers for conditional arithmetic. The post mentions the upcoming release of AVX-512VNNI, a subset designed to accelerate convolutional neural network algorithms. It also discusses the current lack of libraries utilizing this technology due to its newness and hardware demands. The author thanks the reader for taking the time to read the post and mentions that a conclusion will be published in a few days.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new blog post

AVX-512 Assembly Programming: Opmask Registers for Conditional Arithmetic
AVX-512_registers.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Attachments

• AVX-512_registers.png
    AVX-512_registers.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 593
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Technology news on Phys.org
I'm learning a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Are there libraries that make use of this instruction set to handle arbitrary length vectors?

anorlunda said:
Are there libraries that make use of this instruction set to handle arbitrary length vectors?
Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my article! The conclusion of this article is in the pipeline, and should be published in a few days.

Regarding your question, not that I know of, but then I don't really know what products are using this technology. Most of my efforts have been spent in just figuring out how to use this stuff. The AVX-512 instruction set has about a dozen subsets, some of which are yet to be released. One of the yet-to-be-released subsets is AVX-512VNNI (vector neural network instructions), and is designed to accelerate convolutional neural network algorithms (https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/x86/avx512vnni).

As far as who else is using this technology, the AVX-512 stuff is pretty new, so, and makes some heavy hardware demands. I think the situation is a bit like when Intel and AMD came out with 32-bit processors in the mid-80s, but it took about 10 years for OSes to catch up.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is AVX-512 Assembly Programming?

AVX-512 Assembly Programming is a type of assembly language specifically designed for Intel's Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) instruction set architecture. It allows for highly efficient parallel processing of data, making it ideal for applications that require high computational power.

2. What are Opmask registers?

Opmask registers, also known as mask registers, are a set of registers used in AVX-512 assembly language for conditional arithmetic operations. They allow for selective execution of instructions based on a specified condition, improving performance by avoiding unnecessary computations.

3. How do Opmask registers work?

Opmask registers work by storing a mask value of 0 or 1 for each element in a vector. When an instruction is executed, the corresponding mask value is checked and the instruction is only performed on the elements with a mask value of 1. This allows for efficient conditional operations on large sets of data.

4. What are some advantages of using Opmask registers?

Opmask registers offer several advantages for AVX-512 assembly programming. They allow for more efficient use of resources by avoiding unnecessary computations, which can greatly improve performance. They also make it easier to write complex conditional operations in assembly language, as they provide a simple and structured way to specify conditions.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using Opmask registers?

While Opmask registers offer many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. They require careful management and must be used correctly in order to avoid errors. Additionally, not all processors support AVX-512 instructions, so code using Opmask registers may not be compatible with all systems.