There Are No Atheists in Wormholes

Now all I need is a story for it.
You certain it hasn't been done?

Likes Lren Zvsm
Bystander said:
You certain it hasn't been done?
The title?

I suppose it's possible...

But the story doesn't have to a literal recounting of the title writ long. That might be too on-the-nose.

I find most science fiction titles range between cryptic and utter word salad. "To Sleep in a Sea of Stars", "Far From the Light of Heaven", "Hail Mary", "Children of Time", "A Deepness in the Sky", etc. All hard(ish) sci-fi. Sure as heck nothing in those titles that hints what you're about to to read (to my chagrin).

The main plot could detail the secrets of Mongolian stir frying in lunar gravity, but as long as I added enough obscure subtext to the story, the title would still be on-brand. :oldbiggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
There Are No Atheists in Wormholes ...
Because every time someone traverses a wormhole (a common mode of movement in this story) they have a mental experience that convinces them that there IS a higher power. They don't know if it's "God" or what but it makes them believe there is SOMETHING. This really screws with the head of the main character, for reasons that I leave up to YOU to explain ...

phinds said:
Because every time someone traverses a wormhole (a common mode of movement in this story) they have a mental experience that convinces them that there IS a higher power. They don't know if it's "God" or what but it makes them believe there is SOMETHING. This really screws with the head of the main character, for reasons that I leave up to YOU to explain ...
In Robert J. Sawyer's Neandertal Parallax, the main character (a lapsed Catholic atheist) donned a scalp electrode mesh that would apply an electromagnetic field to a specific region of the brain. The moment the switch was flipped she immediately saw the Virgin Mary standing in front of her, as real as her own hand. She could see, hear and smell her. When the switch was turned off, the Virgin Mary instantly vanished. Proof positive that such incidents of Being Touched By Divinity was - not just entirely in the mind, but entirely in the brain. (Our protagonist burst into tears from the emotional whiplash.)

But that is not this story...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes phinds

What does "Awesome story title - now I just need a story" mean?

This phrase typically refers to a situation where someone has thought of a compelling or catchy title for a story but has not yet developed the plot or content to go along with it. It's a humorous or candid acknowledgment of the creative process where sometimes a title comes before the story itself.

How can I come up with a story for a great title?

Start by brainstorming ideas that relate to the theme or emotion of the title. Consider what genre fits the title best, such as mystery, romance, or adventure. Create character sketches and think about conflicts that could drive your narrative. Outlining your plot can help flesh out a full story that fits your title.

What are some tips for matching a story to a title?

Ensure the tone and style of the story reflect the title. For example, if the title is whimsical, the story should not be overly serious. Also, consider the expectations set by the title and try to meet or creatively subvert them. It's important that the title encapsulates the essence of the story without misleading the reader.

Can a title influence the success of a story?

Yes, a title can significantly influence a story's success. A good title catches attention, makes the story memorable, and can attract readers by giving them a hint of what to expect. It acts as a marketing tool and is often the first thing that draws a reader to pick up a book or click on a story online.

Is it common to start with a title before writing a story?

While it's more common for writers to develop a story and then choose a title that suits it, starting with a title is not unheard of. Some writers find inspiration in a title, as it can set the tone and direction for the entire narrative. However, this approach can be challenging as it requires the story to be crafted to fit the preconceived title.