Ayatollahs for Kerry?

1. By Michael Freund
    The Jerusalem Post | September 15, 2004

The excitement is palpable. You can almost feel it in the air. The dictators of the Arab world just can’t wait for George W. Bush to lose the US presidential election in November.

Gripped with fear as they watch Bush’s democratic experiment in Iraq take shape, the tyrants and despots of the Middle East are pinning their hopes on Democratic challenger John Kerry to prevail.

After all, the last thing they want to see is a second-term Bush determined to reform the region, a development that would threaten their grip on power and stymie their efforts to obtain more lethal types of weaponry.

And so, the rhetoric in the Arab world is heating up, pointing to a real desire to see the US president go down in defeat.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,767
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds like a level-headed objective observation, don't you think?

(Yes that was irony, real irony)
  4. I fail to see the relevance of the title. Which ayatollahs are you speaking of?
  5. BobG

BobG 2,338
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Europe would probably beg to differ with that statement.

Norway: 74% Kerry, 7% Bush
    Germany: 74% Kerry, 10% Bush
    France: 64% Kerry, 5% Bush
    Italy: 58% Kerry, 14% Bush
    Spain: 45% Kerry, 7% Bush

Bush's best ally, the United Kingdom, only prefers Kerry by 47% to 16%.

Outside of Asia, Israel and Poland might be the only countries hoping for a Bush win.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  6. I thought the article was interesting! So I posted it.

I would think that the Ayatollahs that he is talking about i image would be Iran? That was my understanding.

7. No Ayatollahs were actually quoted, and only like 2 newspapers and 2 guys were actually quoted.
  8. Alanis Morissette ruined so many people's idea of irony.
  9. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,046
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True, that word has now become all but indistinguishable from 'sarcasm'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?