B-bbar production at the LHCb

• Thread starter tgessler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhcb
In summary, The LHCb is a b factory that collides two symmetric proton beams. Most b-bbar pairs are produced under small or large polar angles, which justifies the forward detector design. This can be predicted using a physics generator like Pythia, which uses hadron interaction models. However, the actual reaction taking place is not simple and involves gluons at tree level. The production is largely kinematic, with a flat distribution in rapidity leading to a strong forward-backward peaking in the lab.
tgessler
I'm giving a report on the LHCb for a detector physics class. I don't quite understand how b-bbar-pairs are produced at the LHCb. LHCb collides two symmetric proton beams and is supposed to work as a b factory.

In many papers concerning the LHCb, for instance
http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.1740v1"
a picure of the b-bbar-production cross section can be found. They all say that most b-bbar-pairs are produced under small or large polar angles, i.e. very close to the beam, thus justifying the forward detector design. It seems that such predictions can be obtained using a physics generator (Pythia) that uses some hadron interaction models. However, I would like to understand, if possible, the angular distribution of the products as a direct result of the p-p interaction, so that I can give a ("handwaving") explanation in my presentation.

Unfortounately, I'm not very firm in theoretical hadron physics. I imagined something like this: A valence quark q from the first proton annihilates with a sea quark qbar from the second photon into a virtual Z0, which then creates a b-bbar-pair. The reason for the b-bbar-pair to move close to the beam in either direction would then be, that the first proton (with the valence quark) contributes much more momentum to the quark pair then the second proton (with the sea quark).

The only Feynman diagram for the b-bbar-production at LHCb that I could find is from page 4 of
http://www.fz-juelich.de/ikp/ghp2009/Talks/talk_ruf_thomas.pdf" .
However, here it seems that both protons simply radiate a gluon, and these then form the b-bbar-pair. This would, however, not explain the mentioned angular distribution.

Is there any remotely easy way to understand this? What is the actual reaction taking place? Is there a simple Feynman diagram for this that I could show?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tgessler said:
Is there a simple Feynman diagram for this that I could show?

No. There are three at tree level, all involving gluons, and the next order corrections are at least as large as tree level. It's not simple.

Furthermore, this effect has nothing to do with dynamics - it's purely kinematic. The production is roughly flat in rapidity, which means that there's a strong forward-backward peaking in the lab.

1. What is B-bbar production at the LHCb?

B-bbar production at the LHCb refers to the creation of a pair of B and anti-B particles at the Large Hadron Collider beauty (LHCb) experiment. These particles are created through high-energy collisions of protons in the LHC, allowing scientists to study their properties and interactions.

2. Why is studying B-bbar production important?

Studying B-bbar production provides valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between them. B and anti-B particles are both members of the baryon family, which are crucial to our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How does the LHCb detect B-bbar production?

The LHCb experiment uses a detector made up of several layers, including tracking detectors, calorimeters, and muon detectors. When B and anti-B particles are produced in a collision, they decay into other particles that can be detected by the various layers of the detector, allowing scientists to reconstruct the events and study their properties.

4. What have we learned from studying B-bbar production at the LHCb?

Studying B-bbar production has helped us understand the behavior of baryons and their interactions with other particles. It has also provided evidence for the existence of new particles and helped test the predictions of the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What are the future prospects for B-bbar production research at the LHCb?

With upgrades to the LHC and the LHCb detector, scientists will be able to study B-bbar production with even higher precision and energy, allowing for more detailed investigations of the properties of these particles and their interactions. This could potentially lead to new discoveries and a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.