B field at the center of a large charges sheet

In summary, the problem involves a plastic film with a uniform surface electric charge density traveling between two rollers with speed v. To find B near the surface of the belt in the middle of a large flat span, Biot-Savart's law is used. The film is divided into strips, each equivalent to a wire carrying current. By using the right hand grip rule and integrating the fields at a central point, the direction and magnitude of B can be determined. The answer can also be checked using Ampere's law.
zimo

Homework Statement

In a plastic film factory, a wide belt of
thin plastic material is traveling between two successive
rollers with the speed v. In the manufacturing process, the
film has accumulated a uniform surface electric charge
density σ. What is B near the surface of the belt in the
middle of a large flat span?

Homework Equations

B(x) = [itex] \frac{\mu I}{4\pi}\int \frac{dx' \times (x-x')}{|x-x'|^{3}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the integral, starting with assuming that the sheet can be represented via cylindrical coordinates - to better use the r and sin(theta) - a result from the cross product.
But then I've got in the integrand [itex]\frac{sin(\theta)}{r} and then solved the dr part with log(r)|{inf to 0} and couldn't progress from there, so I suppose I made an error somewhere but can't find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are in the middle of a large flat span of uniform charge density, it is perhaps simpler to apply Ampere's law than try to brute force it with Biot-Savart.

Maybe you are right, but the lecturer pointed out specifically to use Biot-Savart on this one...:yuck:

I think it would be right, if you first find the electric field. Then use Maxwell's equation to find the B.

I approached him and asked it today, he said that he expects us to solve it only by Bio-Savart...

Regard the moving charged sheet as currents running in parallel wires. A strip of width [itex]\Delta[/itex]w will be equivalent to a wire carrying current [itex]\sigma[/itex] [itex]\Delta[/itex]w v. Agreed?

Now, using the B-S law to find B due to a long straight wire is a standard derivation. I expect you've learned it already. [The result can be derived in one line from A's Law.]

So now you need to integrate the fields at a 'central point', due these strips of the sheet. A diagram is essential here. You'll need to use the right hand grip rule to get the direction of these fields, and then you'll need to add the fields as vectors. This isn't as hard as it sounds because field components perpendicular to the sheet cancel. Again, your answer can be checked in one line using A's Law.

1. What is a "B field"?

The "B field" refers to the magnetic field, which is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force exerted on a charged particle or current-carrying wire.

2. What is a "charge sheet"?

A "charge sheet" is a hypothetical surface with a uniform distribution of electric charge. It is often used in physics problems to simplify calculations and model certain scenarios.

3. Why is the B field at the center of a large charge sheet zero?

This is because the magnetic field is created by moving charges, and a charge sheet has no net movement of charges. Therefore, there is no magnetic field created at its center.

4. How does the B field at the center of a large charge sheet change with distance?

The B field at the center of a large charge sheet remains zero regardless of distance from the sheet, as long as the point is located on the sheet's perpendicular bisector. This is because the charge sheet has a uniform distribution of charge, so the distance from the sheet does not affect the magnitude of the magnetic field.

5. Can the B field at the center of a large charge sheet be affected by an external magnetic field?

No, the B field at the center of a large charge sheet is not affected by external magnetic fields because the sheet itself does not create a magnetic field. However, the charges on the sheet may experience a force from the external magnetic field.