B field of 1/2 infinite solenoid, equivalent current confguration

In summary, the B field of a 1/2 infinite solenoid can be described using an equivalent current configuration, where the solenoid is replaced by a cylindrical shell of current with the same radius and length. This simplifies the calculation of the B field and can be used to study the magnetic properties of the solenoid, such as its ability to generate a magnetic field or induce a current in a nearby conductor. The equivalent current configuration is a useful tool in understanding and analyzing the behavior of 1/2 infinite solenoids.
Spinnor
Gold Member
I have wondered if there is a symmetric current configuration that gives the magnetic field of a half-infinite solenoid. With some thought I think I came up with such a configuration of current loops that produces the same magnetic field as a half-infinite solenoid

Suppose we have a large but countable number of half-infinite solenoids whose ends all begin at some origin and that point in random directions. Consider each solenoid to be the sum of a large but countable number of very small current loops one stacked on top of the next.

If one half-infinite solenoid gives a radial magnetic field then so does the superposition of any number of half-infinite solenoids with random orientations as long as their ends all end at the origin. So we have a large but countable number of solenoids each composed of a large but countable number of very small current loops. This leads to the following picture.

Consider the magnetic field given by a large but countable number of very small current loops whose orientation all point away or towards the origin and whose density in space varies as 1/r^2 where r is the radial distance from the origin. There is an equivalent configuration, I think, where the loops are randomly distributed in space (again, all orientated towards or away from the origin) but the current in the loop goes as 1/r^2.

Does that seem right? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is interesting, but I don't know that anything with a different current configuration will duplicate the magnetic field from a semi-infinite solenoid. ## \\ ## The semi-infinite solenoid has the same current configuration as a semi-infinite uniformly magnetized cylinder and has a single pole (surface) on the end face. By comparing the results from the pole model vs. surface current for a semi-infinite cylinder of uniform magnetization, and showing the results for ## B ## to be equal outside the cylinder, I was able to prove, with a couple additional steps, the magnetic pole model equation ## B=\mu_o ( H+M) ##. I did this calculation several years ago. Most E&M texts elude to the analogous electrostatic equation ## D=\epsilon_o E+P ##, but this is really very much a handwaving argument, and is very incomplete. I was very glad to finally prove this equation, and I was actually surprised that the ## B ## computed from the pole model is in 100% agreement with what the magnetic surface currents and Biot-Savart give. ## \\ ## I realize that my reply may be taking this off on a tangent. The Moderators should feel free to delete my post if they think it is not a suitable or relevant reply.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I don't know that anything with a different current configuration will duplicate the magnetic field from a semi-infinite solenoid.

Two such solenoids whose ends coincide and can point in any direction (and with the same current orientation, left handed or right handed). A radial field plus a radial field gives you a radial field. Now keep adding solenoids. Yes?

Spinnor said:
Two such solenoids whose ends coincide and can point in any direction (and with the same current orientation, left handed or right handed). A radial field plus a radial field gives you a radial field. Now keep adding solenoids. Yes?
This looks like it is basically headed in the direction of a magnetic monopole. See this previous thread that discusses the structure that a magnetic monopole would have: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...o-vector-potential.950053/page-2#post-6017074

So I am wrong. If we had a countable number of solenoids emanating from the origin then there would be just as many field lines going in as going out, no monopole field. Back to the drawing board.

1. What is a B field of 1/2 infinite solenoid?

A B field of 1/2 infinite solenoid refers to the magnetic field created by a solenoid, which is a coil of wire, that extends infinitely in one direction and has a finite length in the other direction. The "1/2" refers to the fact that only half of the solenoid is being considered in this configuration.

2. How is the B field of 1/2 infinite solenoid calculated?

The B field of 1/2 infinite solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0NI, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

3. What is an equivalent current configuration?

An equivalent current configuration refers to a simplified representation of a complex magnetic field, where the actual current-carrying wires are replaced with hypothetical current loops. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the magnetic field.

4. How is the equivalent current configuration determined for a 1/2 infinite solenoid?

The equivalent current configuration for a 1/2 infinite solenoid is determined by considering the direction of the current in the solenoid and creating a hypothetical current loop with the same direction and magnitude of current. The location of the loop is determined by the geometry of the solenoid.

5. What is the purpose of studying the B field of 1/2 infinite solenoid and its equivalent current configuration?

Studying the B field of 1/2 infinite solenoid and its equivalent current configuration allows for a better understanding of the behavior of magnetic fields in real-life systems. It also aids in the design and analysis of devices that utilize magnetic fields, such as motors and generators.