B Field of Large Ring Magnet Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the negative result obtained with a large Neodymium N35 ring magnet and the factors that contribute to this result, such as the remanence field, distance from the pole face on the symmetry axis, thickness and radius of the ring. The formula used to calculate the result is also mentioned and the possibility of using a surface ring magnet strength function is suggested.
jok
Hi Everyone ,

Can anyone explain why I am getting negative result with a large Neodymium N35 ring Magnet ?

Br: Remanence field, independent of the magnet's geometry
z: Distance from a pole face on the symmetry axis
D: Thickness (or height) of the ring
Ra: Outside radius of the ring
Ri: Inside radius of the ring

Br: 12,300
z: 5mm
D: 10mm
Ra: 360mm
Ri: 330mm

(12000÷2)×((10+5)÷(SQRT((POWER(360,2)+POWER((10+5),2))))−(5)÷(SQRT((POWER(360,2)+POWER((5),2))))−((10+5)÷(SQRT((POWER(330,2)+POWER((10+5),2))))−(5)÷(SQRT((POWER(330,2)+POWER((5),2))))))

I am getting a result of : -15.0893364057539 Gauss .

Does it make sense for such a large magnet ?

Thank you

Screen_Shot_2015_08_17_at_10_15_33_AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

I'd suggest doing it with a calculator and writing down the value of each term individually. Then see if you can spot the error in your (Excel?) formula calculation above.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I'd suggest doing it with a calculator and writing down the value of each term individually. Then see if you can spot the error in your (Excel?) formula calculation above.

I did.

The results are correct .

Some said it is due to the fact that in the center of the ring there is very little field flux, which make sense . The center Z axis is very much away from the actual magnet.

So far what I came up with is using a block magnet formula to calculate a ring magnet by converting it to liner from circular .

But if there is a function for surface ring magnet strength. it would be very helpful.

Thank you

Hi, how did you get your value for z? I'm new to this and trying to work a similar problem, any help would be much appreciated

1. What is the "B Field" in a large ring magnet?

The "B Field" in a large ring magnet refers to the magnetic field strength, which is a measure of the force exerted by the magnetic field on a charged particle.

2. How is the "B Field" calculated in a large ring magnet?

The "B Field" in a large ring magnet can be calculated using the formula B = μI / 2r, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ is the permeability of the material, I is the current flowing through the magnet, and r is the radius of the magnet.

3. What units are used to measure the "B Field" in a large ring magnet?

The "B Field" in a large ring magnet is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

4. How does the "B Field" change as the distance from the magnet increases?

The "B Field" decreases as the distance from the magnet increases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field follows the inverse square law, meaning that the field strength decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

5. Can the "B Field" be manipulated in a large ring magnet?

Yes, the "B Field" in a large ring magnet can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the magnet or by altering the distance between the magnet and other objects. Additionally, the shape and composition of the magnet can also affect the strength of the "B Field".