1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I B Field of Large Ring Magnet Calculation

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1

jok

Hi Everyone ,

Can anyone explain why I am getting negative result with a large Neodymium N35 ring Magnet ?

Br: Remanence field, independent of the magnet's geometry
    z: Distance from a pole face on the symmetry axis
    D: Thickness (or height) of the ring
    Ra: Outside radius of the ring
    Ri: Inside radius of the ring

Br: 12,300
    z: 5mm
    D: 10mm
    Ra: 360mm
    Ri: 330mm

(12000÷2)×((10+5)÷(SQRT((POWER(360,2)+POWER((10+5),2))))−(5)÷(SQRT((POWER(360,2)+POWER((5),2))))−((10+5)÷(SQRT((POWER(330,2)+POWER((10+5),2))))−(5)÷(SQRT((POWER(330,2)+POWER((5),2))))))

I am getting a result of : -15.0893364057539 Gauss .

Does it make sense for such a large magnet ?

Thank you

Screen_Shot_2015_08_17_at_10_15_33_AM.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I'd suggest doing it with a calculator and writing down the value of each term individually. Then see if you can spot the error in your (Excel?) formula calculation above.

4. Aug 17, 2015 #3

jok

I did.

The results are correct .

Some said it is due to the fact that in the center of the ring there is very little field flux, which make sense . The center Z axis is very much away from the actual magnet.

So far what I came up with is using a block magnet formula to calculate a ring magnet by converting it to liner from circular .

But if there is a function for surface ring magnet strength. it would be very helpful.

Thank you

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4
    Hi, how did you get your value for z? I'm new to this and trying to work a similar problem, any help would be much appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted