Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I B Field of Large Ring Magnet Calculation

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1

jok

Hi Everyone ,

Can anyone explain why I am getting negative result with a large Neodymium N35 ring Magnet ?

Br: Remanence field, independent of the magnet's geometry
    z: Distance from a pole face on the symmetry axis
    D: Thickness (or height) of the ring
    Ra: Outside radius of the ring
    Ri: Inside radius of the ring

Br: 12,300
    z: 5mm
    D: 10mm
    Ra: 360mm
    Ri: 330mm

(12000÷2)×((10+5)÷(SQRT((POWER(360,2)+POWER((10+5),2))))−(5)÷(SQRT((POWER(360,2)+POWER((5),2))))−((10+5)÷(SQRT((POWER(330,2)+POWER((10+5),2))))−(5)÷(SQRT((POWER(330,2)+POWER((5),2))))))

I am getting a result of : -15.0893364057539 Gauss .

Does it make sense for such a large magnet ?

Thank you

Screen_Shot_2015_08_17_at_10_15_33_AM.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I'd suggest doing it with a calculator and writing down the value of each term individually. Then see if you can spot the error in your (Excel?) formula calculation above.

4. Aug 17, 2015 #3

jok

I did.

The results are correct .

Some said it is due to the fact that in the center of the ring there is very little field flux, which make sense . The center Z axis is very much away from the actual magnet.

So far what I came up with is using a block magnet formula to calculate a ring magnet by converting it to liner from circular .

But if there is a function for surface ring magnet strength. it would be very helpful.

Thank you

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4
    Hi, how did you get your value for z? I'm new to this and trying to work a similar problem, any help would be much appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted