Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Backing-out luminosity togo from lumens to radiant flux in W

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
    Hi. Has anyone already done the work to back out the standard luminosity function so I can go from lumens at a particular wavelength to radiant flux in Watts? I have visible LED spec sheets with optical characteristics in lumens and I want to calculate the outputs in W. My NIR LED has specs in radiant flux in W because we can't see that. I want everything in W. I found the expression for the standard luminosity function here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function
    but was hoping someone knew of a website or program that already does this.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2
    Wikipedia says a Lumen is 1/683 Watt measured at 555 nm (green).
    What pity illumination engineers do not simply use the same units as radio engineers - Transmitted Power and Isotropic Effective Radiated Power (EIRP) etc.

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    Yes - I know why lighting engineers are concerned with the response of the human eye, but I'm exciting silicon! I will probably just back this out from blue to NIR and share with the group. Thanks for your response and help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted