What is the formula for calculating radiant intensity from an LED onto a body?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the amount of joules of energy per square centimeter that are radiated onto a body from an LED. The parameters given include the LED's radiant intensity, diameter, beam angle, wavelength, total radiant flux, and distance from the LED to the body. The solution involves using simple geometry and unit conversions to calculate the size of the spot and then dividing the total radiant flux by the spot area to find the radiant power per unit area. The final calculation results in 2.4mW/mm2 of radiant power per unit area.
rayellam
Hi,
I’m hoping some genius can help me out here. I’m trying to determine how many joules of energy per square centimeter (from an LED) are radiated onto a body given the following parameters.

LED radiant intensity = 80mW/Sr
LED diameter = 5mm
LED beam +/- 20 degrees

Wavelength = 880nM
Total radiant flux = 25mW
Distance from LED to body = 5mm

Thanks
Ray

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple geometry (and unit conversions) suffices, genius has nothing to do with it.

Hi Andy,
Well thanks for the help on this :-0...well I get the genius bit but unfortunately the information to my original question is a little on the ‘light’ side (pardon the pun). I was only looking for some pointers and a little help.

Ray

Well, since you know the angle of the emitted cone of light, you can calculate the size of the spot if the LED is 5 mm from your surface to be illuminated. Assume the LED is a point source, for simplicity; this will result in a good first-order approximation. Once you know that, basic geometry will give you the area of the spot. And since you're given the total radiant flux, you can divide one by the other to find the radiant power per unit area.

One Joule is equal to one Watt for one second.

OK, sorry may math is not good.
I calculated the beam radius of the point source based on a right angled triangle.

LED height = 5mm
Radiant flux = 25mW
Divergence = 20 degrees

So beam radius = (5 / tan70) = 1.82

Then
25mW/1.82mm = 13.73 mW/mm2

?

Ray

oops,
25/(PI R2)
=25mW/10.4 = 2.4mW/mm2

1. What is radiant intensity?

Radiant intensity is a measure of the power emitted by a light source in a particular direction. It is measured in watts per steradian (W/sr) and is used to describe how much light is emitted in a specific direction.

2. How is radiant intensity calculated?

Radiant intensity is calculated by dividing the power emitted by a light source in a particular direction by the solid angle that the light is emitted into. It is typically measured using a photometer or radiometer.

3. What factors affect radiant intensity?

The primary factors that affect radiant intensity include the power of the light source, the size and shape of the light source, the wavelength of light being emitted, and the distance between the light source and the point of measurement.

4. What is the unit of measurement for radiant intensity?

The unit of measurement for radiant intensity is watts per steradian (W/sr). Some other common units used for radiant intensity include watts per square meter (W/m²) and candelas (cd).

5. Why is radiant intensity important?

Radiant intensity is important because it helps us understand and quantify the amount of light that is being emitted by a source in a specific direction. It is used in various applications, such as lighting design, photometry, and radiometry, to ensure that the desired amount of light is being produced and distributed effectively.