Balancing Chemical Equations with Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation was about balancing a chemical equation with the given compounds and their corresponding elements. The individual provided a matrix and its reduced row echelon form, but was unsure how to solve for the free variable needed to balance the equation. Suggestions were made to add a column of zeros and to calculate the remaining variables in terms of the free variable. Two possible solutions were proposed using the algebraic method of balancing chemical equations.
Squall

Homework Statement

Balance the following Chemical Equation
(x1)KMnO4+(x2)MnSO4+(x3)H2O->(x4)MnO2+(x5)K2SO4+(x6)H2SO4

Homework Equations

Here is the matrix I came up with but it seems to be flawed but I am unable to see what i am doing wrong

1 0 0 0 -2 0 (K)
0 1 0 -1 0 0 (Mn)
4 4 1 -2 -4 -4 (O)
0 1 0 0 -1 -1 (S)
0 0 2 0 0 -2 (H)
Each column corresponds to the amount of each element in each compound.

This is the reduced row echelon form of the matrix
1 0 0 0 0 -1/3
0 1 0 0 0-7/6
0 0 1 0 0 -1
0 0 0 1 0-7/6
0 0 0 0 1 -1/6

I seem to be missing the free variable I need to solve this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer i come up with is
X1=(1/3)
X2=(7/6)
X3=(1)
X4=(7/6)
X5=(1)

and here is the problem for I only get five answers and not the six that i need to balance the equation. Can anyone point me in a direction or say what I am doing wrong any help will be appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to add a column of zeros on the right of your matrix

Balance is made by taking x6 as a free variable. This variable is free because in the Matrix, x6 is the position where no pivot element is present, i.e. column of x6 is not a pivot column. So compute the remaining variables in the form of x6 and then multiply all the values of x1 ... x5 by the LCM of the denominators of the fractions.

In my view the answer will look like (for example if I suppose the obtained Echelon form is correct, i.e. This is the reduced row echelon form of the matrix
1 0 0 0 0 -1/3
0 1 0 0 0-7/6
0 0 1 0 0 -1
0 0 0 1 0-7/6
0 0 0 0 1 -1/6)

X1=(1/3)t
X2=(7/6)t
X3=(1)t
X4=(7/6)t
X5=(1/6) t
x6=t, where t is in Set of Real Numbers

OR

X1=(2)t
X2=(7)t
X3=(6)t
X4=(7)t
X5=(1) t
x6=(6)t, where t is in Set of Real Numbers

Related to Balancing Chemical Equations with Linear Algebra

1. What is balancing chemical equations with linear algebra?

Balancing chemical equations with linear algebra is a mathematical approach used to balance chemical equations. It involves using matrix operations to represent the chemical reactions and solving for the unknown coefficients to ensure that the number of atoms on both sides of the equation are equal.

2. Why is balancing chemical equations important?

Balancing chemical equations is important because it helps us understand and predict the outcome of a chemical reaction. It ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed, meaning that no atoms are lost or gained during the reaction.

3. How is linear algebra used in balancing chemical equations?

Linear algebra is used to represent chemical reactions as systems of linear equations. Each element in a chemical equation is treated as a variable, and the coefficients of these variables are represented as entries in a matrix. The matrix is then solved using various methods to determine the coefficients and balance the equation.

4. Can balancing chemical equations with linear algebra be applied to all chemical reactions?

Yes, balancing chemical equations with linear algebra can be applied to all chemical reactions, including complex ones. However, it may become more challenging for reactions involving large molecules or multiple reaction pathways.

5. What are the benefits of using linear algebra to balance chemical equations?

Using linear algebra to balance chemical equations can make the process more efficient and accurate. It also allows for a systematic approach to balancing equations, making it easier to identify and correct any errors. Additionally, it provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of chemical reactions.