Balancing Grad School & Double Majoring: Decision Time!

In summary, the speaker is considering double majoring in math in addition to their physics major, but their advisor suggests taking graduate classes instead. The speaker is unsure if the credits will transfer, but believes it will still be beneficial to take graduate classes for the experience. They are seeking advice on whether it's better to have a math major or take graduate classes.
Gear.0
Basically I have most of my classes required to graduate, but due to the lack of availability of some classes it will still take me about 3 more semesters after the current semester.

So I was considering double majoring with math, so it would be physics + math major. Since I was already a math minor, it is only about an additional 12 credit hours to go for the math major as well.
However, my advisor was recommending that I take some graduate classes. The thing is, I will be going to a different university for graduate school, so I'm not too confident that the credits for those graduate classes will be transferable or not.. even so, it would still be great practice to take graduate classes and get a head start learning that stuff by the time I do make it to grad school even if the credits don't transfer.

So basically I am wondering if it will be of any benefit to me at all to have a bachelors degree in physics and math when I graduate, or should I just forget the math major and do the graduate courses even though there is a chance that the credits will not transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should think about it this way: both are good.

If you are especially interested in mathematical (theoretical/computational) physics, and you enjoy math classes---then sure, go for the math second major. At the same time, graduate physics classes tend to give you just about all the math you need---and if you want more, you can study it on the side (so if you're interested in just the knowledge, not the degree---perhaps skip it).

I wouldn't worry too much about the transferring of credits, worst-case the credits don't transfer, if you have to take the same class at your graduate institution the professor will probably let you breeze through, or just take the exam, etc etc. Having the experience of taking grad-classes before you go to grad-school can be extremely valuable.

If you're going to grad school for physics, taking a few grad level physics classes and doing well in them (A's) will do more for your application than a math major. Grad schools know most physics majors have about a math minor anyway, and if they didn't require a math class, you probably don't need it. Also, if you haven't taken any computer science, take at least one programming class, and see if you can spend parts of your semesters working with a professor in their lab or on research.

Related to Balancing Grad School & Double Majoring: Decision Time!

1. What is the benefit of double majoring while in grad school?

Double majoring while in grad school allows you to gain a diverse set of skills and knowledge in two distinct fields, which can make you more marketable to potential employers. Additionally, it can also broaden your academic and career opportunities.

2. How can I balance the workload of a double major and grad school?

Balancing a double major and grad school requires effective time management and prioritization. It is important to create a schedule and stick to it, prioritize tasks, and communicate with your professors and advisors if you feel overwhelmed. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can also help manage the workload.

3. Is it possible to complete a double major and grad school in a shorter amount of time?

It depends on your specific program and school. Some programs may allow you to count certain courses towards both your double major and graduate degree, which can potentially shorten the time it takes to complete both. However, it is important to consider the workload and potential burnout when trying to finish in a shorter amount of time.

4. Will having a double major while in grad school affect my GPA?

It is possible that having a double major while in grad school may affect your GPA, as it can increase your workload and potentially make it more difficult to maintain a high GPA. However, this ultimately depends on your individual abilities and dedication to your studies.

5. What should I consider before deciding to double major while in grad school?

Before deciding to double major while in grad school, it is important to consider your long-term goals and how a double major may align with them. You should also consider the workload and potential impact on your mental health, as well as whether or not it is feasible in terms of time and resources. It may also be helpful to speak with other students who have double majored while in grad school to gain insights and advice.