What is the height at which the ball starts to move on a ramp?

• Thread starter chamonix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Ramp
In summary, the problem involves a ball of mass 522 g starting at rest and sliding down a frictionless track. The ball then leaves the track horizontally and strikes the ground. The question asks for the height at which the ball starts to move. Using the equation mgh=mgh_2+1/2mv^2, the solution is found to be 1.45 meters. However, there is some confusion on how this number was obtained and the problem may have provided more information.
chamonix

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 522 g starts at rest and slides down a frictionless track. It leaves the track horizontally, striking the ground.
a. at what height above the ground does the ball start to move?

Homework Equations

I have:
mgh=mgh_2+1/2mv^2
which simplifies to:
h=h_2+1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got:
.2+1.25=1.45

I think that 1.45 is right, but I'm a little confused on how I got to that point.:confused: Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
uhhhh,
I think the problem probably gave a little more information then that.

Oh, so sorry, it did. There was the variable h that was the height of top of ramp to ground. then there was height from bottom of ramp to ground which was 1.25 meters and then distance the ball fell from ramp in x direction which was 1 meter.

1. What is a ball and ramp question?

A ball and ramp question is a classic physics problem that involves a ball rolling down a ramp and determining factors such as its velocity, acceleration, and distance traveled.

2. How do you solve a ball and ramp question?

To solve a ball and ramp question, you need to apply the laws of motion and use equations such as Newton's second law, the kinematic equations, and the work-energy theorem.

3. What factors affect the motion of a ball on a ramp?

The factors that affect the motion of a ball on a ramp include the angle of the ramp, the height of the ramp, the mass of the ball, and the presence of any external forces such as friction.

4. What is the importance of the ball and ramp question?

The ball and ramp question is important because it allows us to understand and apply fundamental concepts of physics such as gravity, motion, and energy. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

5. Can the ball and ramp question be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the ball and ramp question can be applied to real-life situations such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of a car on a slope, and understanding the trajectory of a projectile.