Solving Ball Bearing Problem: Tower Height & Impact Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making ball bearings using a shot tower and the equation used to determine the height of the tower and the impact velocity of the bearing. The equation used is Δx = .5(g)(t)2, which can be derived from the general equation for accelerated motion. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of typing equations and finding the correct values for s0 and v0 in this scenario.
Sylis
Hi, I was Googling about the following question :

"Ball bearings can be made by leting shperical drops of molten metal fall inside a tall tower - called a shot tower- and solidify as they fall.

If a bearing needs 4.0s to solidify enough for impact, how high must the tower be?
What is the bearing's impact velocity?"

In order to find some information on how to do it, and came across this forum and found another post about it that has the equation:
Δx = .5(g)(t)2

My problem is that I've gone through my book making a formula sheet of all the formulas from the chapters we've covered and I'm having a problem deriving this formula from other formulas and can't seem to come up with a solution in how to come to this equation. Can someone possibly help me with this?

I did get the answer (from yahoo using the same formula). However, later I did some maneuvering of my own using the definition of acceleration as the rate of change of velocity (ay=(ΔVy/Δt)) to find ΔVx, and then plugged ΔVy into the equation for relating velocity and displacement for constant-acceleration motion ((Vy)f2 = (Vy)i2 +2ayΔy), and with some algebraic maneuvering found the same answer (78.4m). The previous equation seems far more simple though.

Hopefully my equations came out correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doing all those super and sub-scripts are difficult.

v = a*t

Integrate once.

The general equation for accelerated motion is:

s(t) = s0 + v0*t + (1/2)*a*t^2

For your shot tower, what are s0 and v0?

They would be zero. I see how the equation is found now.

1. How does tower height affect the impact velocity of a ball bearing?

The higher the tower, the greater the impact velocity of the ball bearing. This is because the ball bearing has more potential energy at higher heights, which is converted into kinetic energy as it falls. Therefore, a taller tower will result in a higher impact velocity.

2. What is the relationship between tower height and impact velocity in a ball bearing problem?

The relationship between tower height and impact velocity in a ball bearing problem is directly proportional. This means that as tower height increases, impact velocity also increases. This relationship can be described by the equation: v = √(2gh), where v is impact velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the tower height.

3. How does the mass of the ball bearing affect the impact velocity?

The mass of the ball bearing does not directly affect the impact velocity. This is because, in a vacuum, all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass. However, a heavier ball bearing may have more kinetic energy upon impact due to its greater potential energy at higher heights.

4. Can the impact velocity of a ball bearing be calculated without knowing the tower height?

No, the impact velocity of a ball bearing cannot be calculated without knowing the tower height. The equation for impact velocity (v = √(2gh)) requires the value of tower height to be known in order to solve for velocity. Without this information, the impact velocity cannot be accurately determined.

5. How can the impact velocity of a ball bearing be decreased in a tower height problem?

The impact velocity of a ball bearing can be decreased in a tower height problem by either decreasing the tower height or reducing the acceleration due to gravity. This can be achieved by placing the tower in a vacuum or increasing the distance between the tower and the surface on which the ball bearing will impact. Additionally, using a lighter ball bearing can also decrease the impact velocity.