BALL DROP EXPERIMENT: calculation of the magnitude of G

In summary, the conversation involved the process of finding the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity using a plotted distance versus time squared graph. The slope and y-intercept had to be found and then used in the equation for change in y. There was confusion about where to plug in the slope value and why the equation y=mx+o was used. However, the value of slope was already known as -1/2g.
I plotted the distance in cm ( y2-y1) versus the average change in time squared. (This had to be done by hand...) Then I had to find the slope and the y-intercept. Then I was asked to, " ... From your slope, find the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity (g)" ...

I am really confused as to where am I supposed to plug the value of the SLOPE in this equation:

change in y=-1/2g(t)^2 >>>> yf-yi=-1/2g(t2-t1)^2

I also don't understand why I wrote down y=mx+o -- something about velocity being zero

I know it's really simple but for some reason I am just not getting it.

This isn't really homework, it's a lab calculation. I apologize if this question classifies as a
"homework question"

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have the value of slope its -1/2g=m
so, what's the problem? The equation follows from ##y=ut -(1/2)gt^2## and u's zero.

1. What is the purpose of the ball drop experiment?

The purpose of the ball drop experiment is to determine the value of the gravitational constant, G, which is a fundamental constant in physics that quantifies the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

2. How is the magnitude of G calculated in the ball drop experiment?

The magnitude of G is calculated by measuring the height, mass, and time of an object dropped near the surface of the Earth. Using the equations of motion and the law of universal gravitation, the value of G can be determined.

3. What materials are needed for the ball drop experiment?

The materials needed for the ball drop experiment include a ball (such as a tennis ball), a ruler or measuring tape, a stopwatch, and a tall building or structure to drop the ball from.

4. Why is it important to repeat the ball drop experiment multiple times?

Repeating the ball drop experiment multiple times helps to reduce errors and increase the accuracy of the results. It also allows for an average value of G to be calculated, which can be compared to the accepted value.

5. What factors can affect the outcome of the ball drop experiment?

The outcome of the ball drop experiment can be affected by air resistance, the precision of the timing and measuring equipment, and the location and height of the drop. These factors should be controlled as much as possible to obtain reliable results.

Suggested for: BALL DROP EXPERIMENT: calculation of the magnitude of G

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies