BALL DROP EXPERIMENT: calculation of the magnitude of G

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Brittbrit22
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I plotted the distance in cm ( y2-y1) versus the average change in time squared. (This had to be done by hand...) Then I had to find the slope and the y-intercept. Then I was asked to, " ... From your slope, find the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity (g)" ...


I am really confused as to where am I supposed to plug the value of the SLOPE in this equation:

change in y=-1/2g(t)^2 >>>> yf-yi=-1/2g(t2-t1)^2

I also don't understand why I wrote down y=mx+o -- something about velocity being zero

I know it's really simple but for some reason I am just not getting it.

This isn't really homework, it's a lab calculation. I apologize if this question classifies as a
"homework question"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You already have the value of slope its -1/2g=m
so, what's the problem? The equation follows from ##y=ut -(1/2)gt^2## and u's zero.