Ball dropped in air at 20m/s, why v=20 not v0=20

• Thread starter MrGoATi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Ball
In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem where a ball was dropped in air at 20m/s and the task was to find its maximum height. The confusion stemmed from whether v0 (initial velocity) was equal to 20m/s or 0m/s and which equation to use. After discussing the problem and equations, it was determined that the initial velocity was indeed 0m/s and the equation s=gt2/2 was appropriate for the problem. This resulted in a maximum height of 20.4m. The lack of clarity in the problem statement was noted and it was recommended to always provide the exact problem statement to avoid confusion in the future.
MrGoATi

Homework Statement

ball dropped in air at 20m/s.
why is v=20,v0=0 instead of v0=20,v=0

Homework Equations

a=v-v0 / t
s=x0+v0xt + at2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

a=g=9.8m/s2

I know I can solve it with first finding time(I get that) a=v-v0/t making it into t=v-v0/g
so 20/9.8=2.04s
but now from what I understand 20m/s is v0 is it not? can someone explain is it or is it not initial velocity, and why we don't use
s=v0xt+ gt2/2
but instead s=gt2/2

I know the answer is 20.4m, or maybe it's actually wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please supply the exact problem statement.

Chestermiller said:
Can you please supply the exact problem statement.
the task is to find maximum height,

but I'm pretty sure it's 20.4 I am asking about whether velocity is v0 or v . and how do I know which is it in tasks I may have in future.

vo typically means initial velocity, and v (or vf) typically means final velocity. But what is not clear to me is what is happening in this problem. You say that the ball is "dropped in air at 20 m/s". That statement itself is confusing. Add to it that you are trying to find maximum height. Is it the case that the ball is being thrown upward from the ground at 20 m/s? If that is true, then the initial velocity (vo) would be 20 m/s, and the final velocity (velocity at maximum height, that is) would be 0 m/s.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

yeah exactly but from a ton of forums I watched solutions to this they use
s=v0xt+ gt2/2
but end up with s=gt2/2
finding that a ball thrown up with 20m/s will get to ground to maximum height in 2.04s, 20.4m
the task is quite easy, but since it is so confusing for me that v0=0 I think I will be just as confused in exams when I see anything else than this with velocities and acceleration.

MrGoATi said:
s=v0xt+ gt2/2
but end up with s=gt2/2
If the equation reduces to s=gt2/2, that would be for a problem where the initial velocity was 0. That is why the vot term went away - as would be the case if a ball was dropped off of a building - dropped meaning that it started with an initial velocity (vo) of 0 m/s.

MrGoATi said:
s=v0xt+ gt2/2
but end up with s=gt2/2
finding that a ball thrown up with 20m/s will get to ground to maximum height in 2.04s, 20.4m
the task is quite easy, but since it is so confusing for me that v0=0 I think I will be just as confused in exams when I see anything else than this with velocities and acceleration.

Suppose a ball is thrown upwards at initial speed ##v _0## and reaches its maximum height, ##s## at ##t_1## seconds. Then:

##t_1 = \frac{v_0}{g}##, hence ##v_0 = gt_1##

And:

##s = v_0 t_1 - \frac{1}{2}{g}t_1^2##

Now, substituting ##v_0 = gt_1## into this equation gives:

##s = gt_1^2 - \frac{1}{2}{g}t_1^2 = \frac{1}{2}{g}t_1^2##

Likes MrGoATi and TomHart
thanks, now i get it. explains a lot

MrGoATi said:
thanks, now i get it. explains a lot
Me too.

MrGoATi: If you had provided the exact problem statement like I asked, this confusion could have been avoided. Please, in the future, provide the complete problem statement, and not your own interpretation.

Chestermiller said:
MrGoATi: If you had provided the exact problem statement like I asked, this confusion could have been avoided. Please, in the future, provide the complete problem statement, and not your own interpretation.
i did completely state all that was given, and when you asked i answered what i needed to find. thanks for suggestion though i will keep that in mind

MrGoATi said:
i did completely state all that was given, and when you asked i answered what i needed to find.
What you stated was not the exact statement of the problem as it was originally written. It was your paraphrasing of the problem statement.

[ post: 5642023, member: 345636"]What you stated was not the exact statement of the problem as it was originally written. It was your paraphrasing of the problem statement.[/QUOTE]
,,ball dropped in air at 20m/s.,, that's the given information the question was ,maximum height, which i told when you asked. i could not tell you exact statement since it is written in Lithuanian. but there's no more info. it's nine word task.

MrGoATi said:
[ post: 5642023, member: 345636"]What you stated was not the exact statement of the problem as it was originally written. It was your paraphrasing of the problem statement.
,,ball dropped in air at 20m/s.,, that's the given information the question was ,maximum height, which i told when you asked. i could not tell you exact statement since it is written in Lithuanian. but there's no more info. it's nine word task.[/QUOTE]
Yikes. Whoever stated the problem for you in that way did you a great disservice. They should be berated. I hope this doesn't always happen.

Chet

Likes MrGoATi

1. Why does the velocity at the start of the ball drop in air remain constant at 20m/s?

The velocity at the start of the ball drop, also known as the initial velocity (v0), remains constant at 20m/s because there are no other external forces acting on the ball to change its speed or direction. In the absence of air resistance, the ball will continue to travel at a constant velocity until it reaches the ground.

2. What is the difference between initial velocity (v0) and velocity (v)?

The initial velocity (v0) is the velocity at the beginning of an object's motion, while velocity (v) is the speed and direction of an object at any given time during its motion. In the case of a ball dropped in air at 20m/s, both v0 and v will be 20m/s since there is no acceleration or change in direction.

3. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a ball dropped in air at 20m/s?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. In the case of a ball dropped in air at 20m/s, air resistance will gradually slow down the ball's velocity as it falls. This means that the velocity of the ball will decrease from 20m/s until it reaches the ground.

4. Can the velocity (v) of a ball dropped in air at 20m/s ever be greater than the initial velocity (v0)?

In the absence of external forces, the velocity of a ball dropped in air at 20m/s will remain constant at 20m/s. However, in real-world scenarios, air resistance will cause the velocity of the ball to decrease over time. So while the initial velocity (v0) may have been 20m/s, the actual velocity (v) of the ball as it reaches the ground may be less than 20m/s.

5. How does the height at which the ball is dropped affect the velocity of a ball dropped in air at 20m/s?

The height at which the ball is dropped does not affect the velocity of the ball itself. However, it does affect the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground. The higher the starting height, the longer the ball will take to fall, and therefore the longer it will have to experience air resistance, which will ultimately decrease its velocity. But at any given moment during its fall, the velocity will remain constant at 20m/s.