Ball drops onto rod on a fulcrum and launches another ball into the air

In summary, the question asks how high the other ball will go after a 4.80-kg ball is dropped from a height of 10.5 m onto a uniform bar that pivots at its center, with a mass of 8.00 kg and length of 4.00 m. The other end of the bar has an unattached 5.10-kg ball. After using conservation of angular momentum, the height of the other ball was calculated to be around 1 meter.
graustet

Homework Statement

A 4.80 -kg ball is dropped from a height of 10.5 m above one end of a uniform bar that pivots at its center. The bar has mass 8.00 kg and is 4.00 m in length. At the other end of the bar sits another 5.10 -kg ball, unattached to the bar. The dropped ball sticks to the bar after the collision.

how high will the other ball go after the collision??

Homework Equations

Im assuming a change in kinetic/potential energy, moment of inertia, conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the potential energy of the first ball and used that to find the speed of the ball before it hits the rod. using the conservation of momentum of a inelastic equation i found the resulting speed of the rod and first ball. using that speed i applied it to the rod and other ball to find its kinetic energy. then i set the kinetic energy equal to the potential to find the height. i got like 10.3 meters. i know that's not the answer because by reasoning i thin kt hat the answer should be around 1 meter or so.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi graustet! welcome to pf! :smile:
graustet said:
… i found the potential energy of the first ball and used that to find the speed of the ball before it hits the rod. using the conservation of momentum …

nooo :redface: … this is a turny thingy …

try conservation of angular momentum :wink:

(add in future, please show your calculations)

1. How does the ball drop onto the rod on a fulcrum?

The ball drops onto the rod on a fulcrum due to the force of gravity pulling it downward. When the ball is released, it moves along a straight path until it reaches the rod, where it makes contact and begins to roll down it.

2. What is the purpose of the fulcrum in this experiment?

The fulcrum acts as a pivot point for the rod and ball. It allows the ball to transfer its energy to the rod, causing it to launch the second ball into the air.

3. How does the second ball get launched into the air?

When the first ball rolls down the rod, it transfers its kinetic energy to the rod. This energy is then transferred to the second ball, launching it into the air.

4. What factors affect the height and distance of the launched ball?

The height and distance of the launched ball can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the first ball, the length and angle of the rod, and the surface of the fulcrum.

5. Can this experiment be used to demonstrate any scientific principles?

Yes, this experiment can be used to demonstrate principles of energy transfer and conservation, as well as the laws of motion, such as Newton's third law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.