Understanding the Physics of Elastic Collisions on a 45 Degree Slope

In summary, when a ball falls down a slope, the only force acting on it is the normal force, which is perpendicular to the slope.
Joans
How physics works when falling ELASTIC ball hits 45 degree slope?

At point of colision what forces are working? As do I believe- in time delta t- one force as moment was straght with y axis(prependicular to ground) and Normal force( or how do u call it) witch is prependicular to 45 degree slope? And then sum of vectors would be parallel to x axis? How?? When moment after colision would be also parallel to x axis? And speed before colision and after would be same? How to show this in equations hm?

Physics news on Phys.org
the only force (besides gravity) is the Normal, which is prependicular to 45 degree slope as you said. i am not sure what you ment by the force on the y axis, velocity? gravity? anyway the sum of the vectors doesn't have to be parallel to the x-axis in order for the ball's velocity to be parralel to the x axis, the forces basicly "move" the velocity vector (which has nothing to do with the force vector) in 90 degrees (if the gravity is ignored) the speed should remain the same if energy is coserved.

hope i helped.

Okay, I figured out it, thanks

edoarad said:
the only force (besides gravity) is the Normal, which is prependicular to 45 degree slope as you said. ... the forces basicly "move" the velocity vector (which has nothing to do with the force vector) in 90 degrees (if the gravity is ignored) the speed should remain the same if energy is coserved.

hope i helped.

Hi I am having a small fight with a work college and have searched high and low on google and this is about as close as I've gotten to an answer!

So, what your saying is if a ball hits a surface on an angle richochettes off at the opposite angle same velocity. the force (reaction seen by the surface) will be perpendicular to the surface?

And Hence if you were applying the Force from an impact of a rock on a bin wall (assuming no friction) that hit the wall on an angle you would apply the component of the force that acts perpendicular to the wall. Not in the direction that the rock was falling.

Attachments

• 20090904135034.PDF
    270.5 KB · Views: 264

1. How does the angle of the slope affect the trajectory of the ball?

The angle of the slope will determine the initial velocity and direction of the ball. A 45 degree slope will result in the ball traveling at a constant speed and maintaining its horizontal direction.

2. What is the relationship between the speed of the ball and the angle of the slope?

The speed of the ball will remain constant regardless of the angle of the slope, as long as the slope is at a 45 degree angle. However, if the slope is steeper or shallower than 45 degrees, the speed of the ball will be affected.

3. How does the surface of the slope impact the ball's trajectory?

The surface of the slope can affect the friction and bounce of the ball, which can alter its trajectory. A rough surface will cause more friction and a smoother surface will result in less friction, potentially changing the trajectory of the ball.

4. Can the mass of the ball influence its movement on a 45 degree slope?

The mass of the ball will not significantly impact its movement on a 45 degree slope. As long as the ball is not too heavy or too light, it will maintain a constant speed and direction on the slope.

5. How does gravity play a role in the ball's motion on a 45 degree slope?

Gravity is the force that pulls the ball towards the ground, causing it to accelerate. On a 45 degree slope, the force of gravity is perpendicular to the slope, resulting in the ball maintaining a constant speed and direction without being influenced by gravity's pull.