Ball in Rotating Disk: Kinetic Energy, Work, and Power

Your solution for part 4 is correct. The complex numbers are not essential. The idea is that you can use trigonometric identities to get the time dependence of r from the equation of motion and then use the boundary condition r=R0cos(ωT) to solve for T in terms of R0 and ω.
Bestfrog

Homework Statement

A disk of radius ##R## has a cylindrical hollow that goes through it crossing its center ##O##. The disk rotates around its central axis with constant angular speed ##\vec{\omega}##. A little ball of mass ##m## and with the same radius of the hollow, is at a distance ##R_0## from ##O##. At a certain instant the ball, that was in quiet with respect the disk, is allowed to move. Find, neglecting the friction forces,
1. The radial speed of the ball when it comes out from the disk.
2.The work done by a engine to keep ##\vec{\omega}## constant.
3. The maximum power delivered by the engine.
4. The time to reach the end of the hollow.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I thought about the potential energy (that is converted in kinetic energy) due to the centrifugal force, so ##F=m \omega^2 r##, then $$\int_0^U dU=\int_{R}^{R_0} -m\omega^2 r dr$$ and the final radial speed is ##v_r=\omega \sqrt{R^2-R_{0}^2}##. I'm sure (I hope I'm sure :D)
2. There are no dissipative forces, so the total work done is ##L=\Delta K##. The final speed is ##v^2=v_{r}^2+v_{T}^2## (##v_T## is the tangential speed) so $$L=\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2(2R^2-R_{0}^2)$$.
The problem is how to deal with the maximum power delivered! Hints?

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Parts 1 and 2 look good.
Bestfrog said:
The problem is how to deal with the maximum power delivered! Hints?
Can you find K as a function of r? How is power related to K?

Likes Bestfrog
Hmm - what bothers me about the above is that there is actually no centrifugal force. Where would it come from? Nothing pushing or pulling on the ball in the r direction.

Rather, the acceleration of the ball in the r direction = 0 = d2r/dt2 - ω2r
which with dr/dt|r=R0 = 0 solves to r = R0 cosh(ωt)
with boundary condition R = R0 cosh(ωT)
where T is time spent in the groove.
So, answer to part 4 would be T = (1/ω) cosh-1(R/R0)
So dr/dt = ωR0 sinh(ωt)
and dr/dt(R) = ωR0 sinh[cosh-1(R/R0)] as the answer to part 1.
all of which admittedly seems a bit far-out.

Notwithstanding, I can't accept the idea that centrifugal force exists unless someone can point out its source.

Likes Bestfrog
Your work looks spot-on to me.

The centrifugal force method presupposes working in the rotating frame where there would also be a coriolis force. But the coriolis force does not affect the radial motion in this problem. This approach gives the radial speed as a function of r, which is convenient for the first two questions.

TSny said:
Your work looks spot-on to me.

This approach gives the radial speed as a function of r, which is convenient for the first two questions.
As does mine:
dr/dt (r) = ωR0 sinh[cosh-1(r/R0)].
Afraid I didn't understand the rest of your post, sadly.

rude man said:
As does mine:
dr/dt (r) = ωR0 sinh[cosh-1(r/R0)].
Afraid I didn't understand the rest of your post, sadly.
Sorry for not being clearer. :blushing: I was referring to your work as being spot on. You get r as a function of time from which you can answer the various parts of the question. Bestfrog essentially gets the radial speed vr as a function of r. This can also be used as a basis for answering the different parts of the question.

TSny said:
Sorry for not being clearer. :blushing: I was referring to your work as being spot on. You get r as a function of time from which you can answer the various parts of the question. Bestfrog essentially gets the radial speed vr as a function of r. This can also be used as a basis for answering the different parts of the question.
Thanks T. You mean you agree with my math? That would imply that his ##v_r=\omega \sqrt{R^2-R_{0}^2}## has to be the same as my dr/dt(R) = ωR0 sinh[cosh-1(R/R0)] as the answer to part 1! I'll put some numbers in & see if they agree.

Last edited:
rude man said:
That would imply that his ##v_r=\omega \sqrt{R^2-R_{0}^2}## has to be the same as my dr/dt(R) = ωR0 sinh[cosh-1(R/R0)] as the answer to part 1!
To show the equivalence, use the identity sinh2(x) = cosh2(x) - 1.

TSny said:
To show the equivalence, use the identity sinh2(x) = cosh2(x) - 1.
Thank you Sir! Will look into this tomorrow. Win-win for everyone it seems!
rudy

@TSny yes I forgot to write that I was in the reference frame of the rotating disk.
In the original problem the point 4 can be approached considering the relations ##sin(i \alpha)=i(e^{\alpha} -e^{-\alpha})/2## and ##cos(i \alpha)=(e^{\alpha} +e^{-\alpha})/2##.
I don't have experience with complex numbers so I didn't know how to do the point 4 in this way. (I used the relation ##dt=\frac{dr}{v_r}=\frac{dr}{\omega \sqrt{r^2 -R_{0}^2}}##, and I used Mathematica to solve this integral)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment?

A "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment is a scientific experiment that involves placing a ball on a rotating disk and observing its behavior. This experiment is often used to demonstrate the effects of centripetal force and rotational motion.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. In the "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment, the centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string that connects the ball to the center of the disk.

What factors affect the motion of the ball in a "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment?

The motion of the ball in a "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment is affected by a few key factors: the speed of rotation of the disk, the mass of the ball, the radius of the disk, and the amount of friction between the ball and the disk. Changing these factors can alter the behavior of the ball, making it move faster or slower, or causing it to move in a different direction.

What is the difference between rotational motion and linear motion?

Rotational motion is the motion of an object around an axis or a fixed point, while linear motion is the motion of an object in a straight line. In the "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment, the ball experiences both types of motion as it rotates around the center of the disk and also moves in a circular path.

What is the purpose of conducting a "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment?

The purpose of conducting a "Ball in a rotating disk" experiment is to observe and understand the principles of centripetal force and rotational motion. This experiment can also be used to investigate the relationship between different variables, such as the speed of rotation and the radius of the disk, and their effect on the motion of the ball.