Ball thrown down simplify for time. HELP

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground when thrown downward at a velocity of 8.0m/s from a height of 25m. They are using the formula d=ViT + 1/2a*d and getting a time of 3.4s, but the correct answer is 1.6s. They are then asking for help simplifying for time and are advised to use the quadratic formula.
reltz

Homework Statement

A student throws a ball downward at a velocity of 8.0m/s from a height of 25m. How long until it hits the ground? What is the velocity of the ball as it hits the ground.

Homework Equations

What is thee formula when simplifying for T(time)?

The Attempt at a Solution

When using the formula d=ViT + 1/2a*d I get 3.4s, but the answer is 1.6s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
reltz said:

Homework Statement

A student throws a ball downward at a velocity of 8.0m/s from a height of 25m. How long until it hits the ground? What is the velocity of the ball as it hits the ground.

Homework Equations

What is thee formula when simplifying for T(time)?

The Attempt at a Solution

When using the formula d=ViT + 1/2a*d I get 3.4s, but the answer is 1.6s.

Welcome to PF.

Maybe think more in terms of

x = Vi*t + 1/2*g*t2

now I am still getig high answers... how do i simplify for t?

reltz said:
now I am still getig high answers... how do i simplify for t?

Didn't you get a quadratic equation? Use the quadratic formula. I don't think one of the solutions is too large.

1. What does "ball thrown down simplify for time" mean?

"Ball thrown down simplify for time" is a phrase that describes a physics problem where a ball is thrown downward and the goal is to simplify the problem in order to find the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground.

2. How do you simplify a ball thrown down for time?

To simplify a ball thrown down for time, you can use the kinematic equations of motion, which relate the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time of an object's motion. By using these equations and given information about the ball's motion, you can solve for the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground.

3. What is the acceleration of a ball thrown down?

The acceleration of a ball thrown down is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth. This acceleration causes the ball to increase in speed as it falls towards the ground.

4. Can you explain the concept of free fall in relation to a ball thrown down?

Free fall is the motion of an object when it is only under the influence of gravity, with no other forces acting on it. In the case of a ball thrown down, the ball experiences free fall as it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity. This means that the only force acting on the ball is the force of gravity, which causes it to accelerate downward.

5. How can you use the equation for time to find the time of a ball thrown down?

The equation for time in this scenario is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the initial height of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By plugging in the given information, such as the initial height and acceleration, you can solve for the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground.