1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ball Velocity Question

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is thrown directly downward, with an initial speed of 7.75 m/s, from a height of 30.8 m. After what time interval does the ball strike the ground?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The way I understand it is that since it is freefalling, it is moving at 9.8m/s towards that ground, thereby I neglected the 7.75m and did 30.8/9.8 = 3.14s..however it is wrong and the similar problem book is even numbered therefore cannot work through it backwards.. Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid that is incorrect; the ball is accelerating at 9.81m/s2 which makes a big difference. I'm assuming that your doing a mechanics course, so which kinematic equations do you know?
  4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    Actually just in a standard Calc based physics, thereby I have no equations
  5. Sep 24, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

Hint: The ball is moving at a constant acceleration.

You should have plenty of constant acceleration equations in a Calculus based Physics course to relate velocity, displacement, acceleration, and time.

If not, check out these...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?