Calculating Time Interval for Ball to Strike Ground | Ball Velocity Question

In summary: A ball is thrown downward with an initial speed of 7.75 m/s from a height of 30.8 m. The time interval for the ball to strike the ground is incorrectly calculated to be 3.14s based on a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s2. In a standard calculus-based physics course, there are equations available to relate velocity, displacement, acceleration, and time for constant acceleration.
I am a Newbie

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown directly downward, with an initial speed of 7.75 m/s, from a height of 30.8 m. After what time interval does the ball strike the ground?

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I understand it is that since it is freefalling, it is moving at 9.8m/s towards that ground, thereby I neglected the 7.75m and did 30.8/9.8 = 3.14s..however it is wrong and the similar problem book is even numbered therefore cannot work through it backwards.. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a Newbie said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I understand it is that since it is freefalling, it is moving at 9.8m/s towards that ground, thereby I neglected the 7.75m and did 30.8/9.8 = 3.14s..however it is wrong and the similar problem book is even numbered therefore cannot work through it backwards.. Any help?
I'm afraid that is incorrect; the ball is accelerating at 9.81m/s2 which makes a big difference. I'm assuming that your doing a mechanics course, so which kinematic equations do you know?

Actually just in a standard Calc based physics, thereby I have no equations

Hint: The ball is moving at a constant acceleration.

You should have plenty of constant acceleration equations in a Calculus based Physics course to relate velocity, displacement, acceleration, and time.

If not, check out these...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html

CS

1. What is ball velocity and why is it important in sports?

Ball velocity is the speed at which a ball travels through the air. It is important in sports because it directly affects the outcome of a game. A higher ball velocity can result in a stronger hit or throw, making it more difficult for the opposing team to defend or catch the ball.

2. How is ball velocity measured?

Ball velocity is typically measured using a radar gun or a high-speed camera. The radar gun uses Doppler radar to measure the speed of the ball as it moves, while a high-speed camera captures the ball's movement and calculates its velocity based on the distance it travels over a certain amount of time.

3. What factors affect ball velocity?

The primary factors that affect ball velocity are the force applied to the ball, the angle at which it is thrown or hit, and the air resistance. The type of ball being used and the conditions of the playing surface can also have an impact on ball velocity.

4. Can ball velocity be improved?

Yes, ball velocity can be improved through proper training and technique. Strengthening the muscles used in throwing or hitting a ball, practicing proper form and mechanics, and using the right equipment can all contribute to an increase in ball velocity.

5. How does ball velocity differ between different sports?

Ball velocity can vary greatly between different sports. For example, the average fastball in baseball can reach speeds of up to 95 mph, while the average serve in tennis is around 100 mph. The type of ball, the size of the playing field, and the rules of the sport can all impact the maximum velocity that can be achieved.