Ballentine Equation 5.13 on conservation of momentum

In summary, Ballentine uses geometrical arguments to obtain the initial magnitude of a hydrogen atom's bound electron momentum. equation (5.13) obtains this momentum by multiplying together the components of ##\mathbf{P}_a##, ##\mathbf{P}_b##, and ##\mathbf{P}_o##.
EE18
In Chapter 5.3, Ballentine uses geometrical arguments to obtain the initial magnitude of a hydrogen atom's bound electron momentum. How does equation (5.13) obtain? I tried to naively compute
$$p_e^2 \equiv \textbf{p}_e\cdot \textbf{p}_e = p_a^2+p_b^2+p_o^2 + 2\textbf{p}_a\cdot \textbf{p}_b - 2\textbf{p}_a\cdot \textbf{p}_0 - 2\textbf{p}_0\cdot \textbf{p}_b $$ $$= p_a^2+p_b^2+p_o^2 + 2p_ap_b\cos(\pi - \phi) - 2p_ap_0\cos \theta - 2p_bp_0\cos \theta$$
but then could not go any further. Am I misunderstanding the geometrical relationships of the vectors in Figure 5.1?

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.27.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.27.55 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
EE18 said:
$$p_e^2 \equiv \textbf{p}_e\cdot \textbf{p}_e = p_a^2+p_b^2+p_o^2 + 2\textbf{p}_a\cdot \textbf{p}_b - 2\textbf{p}_a\cdot \textbf{p}_0 - 2\textbf{p}_0\cdot \textbf{p}_b $$ $$= p_a^2+p_b^2+p_o^2 + 2p_ap_b\cos(\pi - \phi) - 2p_ap_0\cos \theta - 2p_bp_0\cos \theta$$
Am I misunderstanding the geometrical relationships of the vectors in Figure 5.1?
The angle between ##\mathbf{P}_a## and ##\mathbf{P}_b## is not ##\pi - \phi##.

##\mathbf{P}_a## lies in the yellow plane that makes angle ##\phi/2## to the horizontal gray plane. You might try finding expressions for the x, y, and z components of ##\mathbf{P}_a## (shown in blue).

1680112505407.png

Likes Ishika_96_sparkles, malawi_glenn and PeroK
TSny said:
The angle between ##\mathbf{P}_a## and ##\mathbf{P}_b## is not ##\pi - \phi##.

##\mathbf{P}_a## lies in the yellow plane that makes angle ##\phi/2## to the horizontal gray plane. You might try finding expressions for the x, y, and z components of ##\mathbf{P}_a## (shown in blue).

View attachment 324201
Thank you so much for that diagram, it helps me tremendously.

It seems like I have, by symmetry, that ##\textbf{p}_a \cdot \textbf{p}_b = p_{ax}^2 -p_{ay}^2 + p_{az}^2##. It then remains to find these components in terms of the given angles and ##p_a##. Now clearly ##p_{az} = \tan(\phi/2)p_{ay}##, ##p_{az} = p_a \cos \theta##, and ##p_a^2 = p_{ax}^2 +p_{ay}^2 + p_{az}^2## so that at least in theory I have three equations with which I can substitute away ##p_{ax}^2 -p_{ay}^2 + p_{az}^2## in the above in terms of the angles and ##p_a##. However it seems very ugly -- is there a cleaner way to do it or is it necessarily ugly?

EE18 said:
Now clearly ##p_{az} = \tan(\phi/2)p_{ay}##, ##p_{az} = p_a \cos \theta##
I think you meant the second equation to represent ##p_{ax}##.

Consider writing ##\mathbf{p}_a## in unit vector notation $$\mathbf{p}_a =p_{ax} \mathbf{i} +p_{ay} \mathbf{j} +p_{az} \mathbf{k}$$ Each of the components can be expressed in terms of the magnitude ##p_a## and the angles ##\theta## and ##\phi/2##. For example, you know ##p_{ax} = p_a \cos \theta##.

Do the same for ##\mathbf{p}_b##.

For ##\mathbf{p}_o## we have simply ##\mathbf{p}_o = p_0 \mathbf{i}##. Then use equation (5.12) to find the component expression for ##\mathbf{p}_e##.

Likes EE18

1. What is the Ballentine Equation 5.13?

The Ballentine Equation 5.13 is a mathematical equation that describes the conservation of momentum in a closed system. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the transfer of momentum between objects.

2. How is the Ballentine Equation 5.13 derived?

The Ballentine Equation 5.13 is derived from the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. It is a combination of the momentum equations for each individual object in the system.

3. What are the variables in the Ballentine Equation 5.13?

The Ballentine Equation 5.13 includes variables for the mass, velocity, and momentum of each object in the system. It also includes a term for the external forces acting on the system.

4. How is the Ballentine Equation 5.13 used in practical applications?

The Ballentine Equation 5.13 is used in various fields such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics to analyze the motion and interactions of objects. It is often used to predict the outcome of collisions or to design efficient systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ballentine Equation 5.13?

The Ballentine Equation 5.13 assumes that the system is closed and that there are no external forces acting on the system. It also assumes that the objects in the system are point masses with no internal forces. These limitations may affect the accuracy of the equation in certain real-world scenarios.